Forums Latest Members

Sorry not watches...BUT a vintage collectors dream..Could an equivalent watch store exist!!!???

1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Oct 19, 2014

stefan and Georgieboy58 like this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 19, 2014

After endless years of having their currency decimated by crazy marxist and leftist fools as well as experiencing never ending inflation, many Argentines (Argentinian and Argentine are both correct nomenclature) have learned to keep their earnings in certain non perishable commodities as a wise defense against crazy leftist politicians who work relentlessly to destroy what was once one of the worlds premier dynamic economies. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are countless Argentinians who keep their life savings in vintage wristwatches. What would surprise me is someone stupid enough to advertise it! The national government would confiscate those watches with a quickness if regular thieves didn't get to them first...

repoman and Spacefruit like this.
  3. WatchNut22 Oct 19, 2014

Wow, that as a very cool video. Who knew that people collect shoe brand products! Being new to watch collecting, I can just imagine finding a store filled with beautiful, untouched (NOS...LOL) 60-70's watches.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Wait until Cuba opens up. It will happen someday.

Supposedly there are several older watchmakers that have pieces that haven't seen the light of day in almost 60 years. Passed them down to children and grandchildren.

gatorcpa

George.A and cristos71 like this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

There's actually a Cuban watchmaker here that's a family friend, working in another industry these days but when I showed him my 1680 Submariner he immediately got excited as he hadn't seen a Rolex that old since leaving (or rather escaping) home a few years ago.

Apparently there are parts around but nearly all watchmakers there are trained to be able to make most anything without parts.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2014

Cuba is already open to most of the world! ;)

Modest_Proposal and DLT222 like this.
  7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

OMG!! I was in heaven there... i love Adidas and will only wear Adidas trainers, don't ask why because i have no idea.

Thanks for sharing!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Mate my shoe closet is about 8 pairs of white Nike AF1s and the rest Air Max LE's, I didn't know Adidas were collectable

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Cuba is only as open as the government wants you to see.

You know what I mean.
    gatorcpa

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Yep - The AF1 and Jordan's are obviously the ones to collect for Nike.

The vintage 70's stuff is being re-run by Adidas because it has such a following.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2014

Not sure what you mean actually, but I have been there...not to a resort either, but stayed in Havana at a hotel that Cubans stay at. It was fairly primitive, so no seat on the toilet (squat on the bowl!), and the "hot" water was an electric (!) heater in the shower head so if you dribbled the water through it would not be freezing. Wonderful city and wonderful people And I enjoyed my time there, so would not hesitate to go back.

No one there is monitoring your movements so you can pretty much go where you want. I think Americans view of Cuba is very different from the reality...

Cheers, Al

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Living about 150 miles away from Havana by air, I think I have a pretty good idea of what the Castro brothers are capable of. You can ask a lot of my neighbors if you want a more first hand account.

However, the Cuban people are a different matter entirely. Some of the warmest and most hospitable people on earth. Some of the most resourceful, too.

It's just a shame that they've been ripped off by everyone from Columbus to Teddy Roosevelt, Batista and the Castros.
    gatorcpa

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2014

So you have never been there, right? If you want to go just either fly to Mexico or here to Canada. We have many direct flights as it is a very popular destination for Canadians.

I agree the embargo will end finally because it's clear after 54 year I think it's been now, it's not going to work...I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping it alive is your neighbours...

Cheers, Al

repoman and Hijak like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2014

Yes you do. However, entry visas are not generally issued to Americans unless they have a specific cultural or educational purpose on the island. Most business done there is technically illegal under US law. So in the interest of keeping my professional license, probably not a good idea.

As far as my neighbors keeping the embargo alive, you greatly overstate their current influence. I'd agree with you if this was 1984, rather than 2014. Their children would love to start doing business there. I would love to visit when restrictions are somewhat less onerous.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/cuba.aspx

As they say, it's complicated.
    gatorcpa

15. bill5959 Oct 19, 2014

Al, Canadiens and Canadians can go there. There is a large fine for Americans WHEN they find you. I think it is 10K. However, I would gladly pay it for the right watch. Regards, Bill

16. bill5959 Oct 19, 2014

GatorCPA is on the spot. His email landed as I launched mine! I had neighbors who honeymooned in pre Castro Cuba. Oh the stories. I will go there and, time be kind, damned the license. Hah. Bill

17. roach7 Oct 19, 2014

Wow, that is one awesome vid, thanks for sharing!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2014

Odd because I shot against the US team with my fellow Canadians there in an archery tournament (we won and knocked them out of the event, which was very satisfying I must say) and they had no problems getting into the country or flying there from Mexico....

I think what's written on paper and the reality of going there is different, at least from what I have seen.

19. bill5959 Oct 20, 2014

Al, Now we get into the hazy world of approved visits. Countless Americans do it thru approved tours, sports outreach etc. as mentioned above. We Americans have trouble keeping our exceptions straight and apart from our righteous indignation. :D Regards. Bill

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2014

LOL! :thumbsup:

I guess with no oil there it's easy to keep an ineffective embargo going for 50+ years. I think now they are just waiting for Fidel and Raul to drop dead.

I'm waiting for the embargo on Saudi Arabia for all the beheadings they do (they make ISIS look like pussies!) but fat chance of that....at least until you guys have fracked the crap out of the US, or approved our tar sands pipeline down there...maybe ebola will get us all long before that with all the hysteria going on these days, particularly in Texas.

It makes me not want to watch the news anymore.

Anyway if I get back to Cuba sometime I'll search for watches just for you US guys that can't go there.

Cheers, Al

watchme, Georgieboy58, Fusion and 2 others like this.