Forums Latest Members
  1. Pvt-Public Sep 5, 2014

My first and only Omega:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 5, 2014

'50 cal 283

P1000323.JPG

I had pocket watches from 1923 and 1905 before this, but they predated my digital camera ( so no pics ) and got sold off to finance some railroad timepieces.

kpa, pitpro, Darlinboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. ulackfocus Sep 5, 2014

Best part is it wasn't my watch - just wanted to infect another naive soul with Omegatitis. :D If I had a nickel for every relatively new member that I helped get hooked on vintage watches I might not have a mortgage. I'd definitely own a Breguet. :whistling:

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 6, 2014

I joined OF in late 2013, after wandering around various other watch forums (and brands) for several years. Almost immediately caught Speedmaster fever (the members here are quite contagious!::jumpy:: ) and acquired my first vintage Omega in January of this year, a transitional 145.022.

Yes I came late to the party. But I am trying to make up for lost time, and have since acquired several more Omegas of various styles, each one older than the last.

I suppose you could say I'm on my own Journey Through Time - and quite enjoying the ride.

145-022.JPG

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 6, 2014

Oops.... found a picture of it.....

P1000454.JPG

Moeris and orchidmansion like this.
  6. timeismoney Sep 6, 2014

This is my very first Omega. I got this about 9 years ago, really like that it has pretty much all the complication one ever needs. It didn't go to the moon but it roughed it with me to Machu Picchu with me. As the collection grew, this is not getting enough wrist time but am keeping it for sentimental reasons. image.jpg

teo66, Varasc, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  7. timeismoney Sep 6, 2014

That is a great start!!

8. Hamfisted Sep 6, 2014

Hello out there.. I have a 17j winder that says Omega CURTIS on the movement. Threads from 2012 say its fake. Well, it is physically real, although I don't know if it is a genuine Omega or if at some time they outsourced (not a term from the 50's) the construction. Keeps good time~ and before anybody bags my pictures, it is another reason I joined the group. This watch was a yard sale find for $10, so no big damage. R

P1020886.JPG P1020878.JPG
  9. Hamfisted Sep 6, 2014

I have no idea why anybody would go to such an extreme to make a knockoff..

P1020889.JPG
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 6, 2014

Hi Hamfisted, welcome to the forum!

Sit down and take a deep breath.......

Yes, I'm afraid your research is right, I'm pretty sure the Omega factory had nothing to do with this watch.
    Note how crudely the Omega lettering is scratched onto the movement, wedged beneath the crooked logo.
    The dial lettering, numeral style, hands, ......... well, you get the picture!

For $10? What is the old saying about getting what you paid for?
    If it keeps good time you made out ok, didn't you?

Please promise you won't ever try to pass it on as real, we even recommend you destroy it when you are finished with it.

Follow for a bit and we'll try to entice you to join us, then you can truly post your "First Vintage Omega" !

Regarding photos, most digital cameras have a "macro" setting, sometimes denoted with a flower icon.
    Try indirect natural daylight but don't let the sun cast harsh shadows or glare on the crystal.

Your bureau mirror is reflecting the camera flash, we have a member who was caught nude that way!

By the way, is that a little automotive "patina' I detect on those hamfists?

p.s. just saw your second photos, much clearer!
    Why you ask? The answer is always money.

11. Hamfisted Sep 7, 2014

My "FIRST VINTAGE OMEGA" made its way to me via a motorcycle accident. I was in the process of rebuilding a 1978 BMW R100, just installed new rear shocks and went off on a Sunday morning to have coffee in Alameda at Starbucks. I experienced something called a "tank-slapper" when the front tire started to travel sideways while on the freeway exit.. my left foot got caught under the axle and ground (re:hamburger) the top of my left foot off. I was out for a year. Whilst re-cooperating at my girlfriends parents cabin in Oregon, the subject of "what are you gonna do with the bike.." came up. I basically said "I don't care, I'll dump it off for scrap.." and that is when my gf's father said "I want it!!". Long story short, I hauled the bike from the bay area, skin from my foot still found on the kickstand, and traded it for this Omega. Cal.1045 17j Auto. R

P1020908.JPG P1020900.JPG P1020906.JPG P1020909.JPG P1020901.JPG P1020907.JPG P1020910.JPG
    teo66 likes this.
  12. Hamfisted Sep 7, 2014

Fungus not patina..
    ;)

13. page Sep 7, 2014

Bought it 30 years ago on the flea market in Zurich together with box and papers. I still love it!

Omega goldcap.jpg
  14. RCAFBuster Sep 8, 2014

My first Vintage Omega, 1962. RCAF Omega HA62-647 (1).JPG

RCAF Omega HA62-647 (1).JPG

justwatching, citizenrich and kyle L like this.
  15. Wongo Sep 8, 2014

Omega chronograph

image.jpg
  16. Zuke Sep 8, 2014

Here is my first - an SM300. Waited a long time to find an authentic one in decent condition.

[​IMG]

Taksaha, justwatching, teo66 and 7 others like this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 8, 2014

Sorry about the photo. It was originally taken of the revolver for a firearms forum but a watch just had to be added for additional "interest."

The first Omega acquired around here was this Constellation with no pedigree to speak of. An Ebay purchase from back in the early days, it hails from a South American nation. I can't recall which, but it was bound to be one that the Forum warns folks off of when making Ebay Omega purchases. I've had it since around 2001. No crosshairs so gotta be a redo. It's suppose to be from 1957 with a 505 movement. It's been completely bullet-proof and has given great service as the "daily driver" most often worn. It's in the shop now receiving its first round of preventive maintenance since the going-through given it not long after acquisition. I've pondered over trying to have the dial restored but, since joining up with the Forum, it is noticed that redone dials are mostly verboten here.

[​IMG]
    We'll take a better photo featuring the watch when it returns from the watch shop.

Varasc and pitpro like this.
  18. The Hack Sep 9, 2014

[​IMG]

My '67 Ed White.

Marty McDawg, TLIGuy, Taksaha and 6 others like this.
  19. enochulate Sep 10, 2014

My first Omega! Arrived last week :) first omega.jpg

JM251, citizenrich, Mothra and 2 others like this.
  20. JM251 Sep 11, 2014

My first: Oct '13 from the bay. Took a big leap just about blind. Coulda been worse!

IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2618.JPG
    Darlinboy, Mothra and citizenrich like this.