Forums Latest Members

My First Speedy: How did i do at the Watches of Knightsbridge Auction: 145.012-67

1. woodwkr2 Mar 17, 2014

You want a complete overhaul (aka a clean/oil/adjust or COA). Taken apart, run through the ultrasonic, oiled, new gaskets, etc.

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

The VAT has already been paid. It is included in the premium the auction house charges. You might be able to reclaim it, but the VAT on the premium isn't very much (approx 4% of the total price). I don't think VAT is charged on the hammer price.

Surely it's import taxes into the US that are the bigger issue ?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2014

Not really. Most to time nothing is charged. I have never been charged when sent through USPS or DHL . Even when run through FedEx and charged, it is very low, even on high values.

MikiJ likes this.
  4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 17, 2014

Totally agree, at least with FedEx delivery. I received this FedEx a little over a year ago from an Estate liquidator. I was able to negotiate a No VAT purchase price without much effort. I only paid the FedEx driver a very reasonable customs charge. I was most surprised that he took my credit card instead of "Dead Presidents" or at least a personal check.
    [​IMG]

5. Unwound Mar 17, 2014

Luzer,

Who'd you buy the watch for? It only needs to make you happy. I think you did just fine. You paid what you could afford, what others think of the value is of no value if you are planning on keeping and Using it. What 321 speedies used to sell for does not matter.

You are now its curator, enjoy the journey.

luzer and UncleBuck like this.
  6. luzer Mar 17, 2014

for me.
    was hoping for something a bit more exotic (2998, topical dial 321), but this will do perfectly for my first speedmaster and first vintage.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 17, 2014

Nicely done. You don't wade in the Vintage pool, you dive right in to the most historically significant wrist watch in history. Bonus that it looks so good!

8. luzer Mar 17, 2014

from the auction site

If you would like to pay via a bank/wire transfer please you the following details and quote your bidder ATG number: IMPORTANT - If transferring from a foreign currency, the amount we receive must be the total due in pounds sterling (after currency conversion and the deduction of any bank charges).

Payment
    Every sale will be subject to a buyer’s premium of 18%+VAT (21.6% inclusive).
    • Bidding online will hold an additional charge of 3.6% (including VAT).
    • The VAT can be excluded or refunded for successful bidders registered from outside of the EC.
    Streamline debit and credit card processing (chip & pin).
    • This can be done at our premises post-auction. There is no additional charge for purchases made with debit cards unless drawn on an overseas bank or deferred debit cards which will be subject to a 2.5% surcharge.
      Please note there is also a 2.5% surcharge when payments are made using VISA & MasterCard credit cards and 3.4% with American Express cards. It may be advisable to notify your card provider of your intended purchase in advance to reduce delays caused by us having to seek authority when you come to pay.
    Online through our website & SagePay.
    • Successful bidders will receive an email with login details to our website allowing you to view and settle invoices online through our secure payment gateway. Some card charges will apply and are as stated above.
    Bank transfer.
    • Contact us for bank account details. All transfers must state your name and the relevant lot number(s) as a reference. IMPORTANT - If transferring from a foreign currency, the amount we receive must be the total due in pounds sterling (after currency conversion and the deduction of any bank charges).
    Sterling Cash up to any amount.
    • Two forms of ID will need to be supplied for payments over £10,000.
    Cheque.
    • Made payable to 'Watches of Knightsbridge Ltd.'. It will be necessary to allow at least six working days for the cheque to clear before collecting or shipping of your purchases.

Shipping
    Postage within the UK will be made by Royal Mail Special Delivery (next day) - charged at £10 per parcel insured up to £10,000.
    International shipping will be made by Royal Mail International Signed For - charged at £15 per parcel insured up to £1,000.
    Higher value items will be sent internationally by FedEx Express fully insured by Malca-Amit (costs depend on value and country, contact us for a quote).
    Postage or shipping of larger items such as clocks may cost more.

9. Hotwheelbill Mar 17, 2014

I just took delivery of two watches shipped from Israel. USPS, no customs fees.

10. davidswiss Mar 18, 2014

Yes I can recommend STS (Swiss Time Services). They have serviced several of my watches, use only omega parts and will either clean, oil, replace gaskets and pushers/crown OR do that plus refurbish the strap and case. You get a two year guarantee. They are very good and a friendly bunch as well.

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

STS can't work on cal 321 anymore. They have to send them to Switzerland, by order of Swatch.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

I'd hit up stefan in the UK, the man knows his 321s

13. Tritium Mar 18, 2014

+1

14. luzer Mar 18, 2014

thank you all for the advise...
    i got word back from the auction house - WoKb - they said ONLY if they ship to outside the country does the can deduct VAT.
    so... does anyone have a 321 guy in NYC?

c

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

You can always send to Archer in Canada and I have a local guy here in NJ.

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  16. luzer Mar 18, 2014

NJ guy? recommended?

17. davidswiss Mar 18, 2014

Do you know why spiki ?
    The last time I had work done on a 321 there was Sept. 2012.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 18, 2014

The head office of Swatch Service UK in Southampton has issued an instruction to all it's omega approved service centres that all cat 4 watches have to be returned to Bienne for service.

While this is a blow to STS, it seems that it is not worth their while to lose Omegas business by not complying. After all they do a lot of Omega, and Swatch work.

it would appear this situation is not worldwide, and leads me to theorize that a managerial "Suit" in Swatch UK had a good idea.....

dont you just love "Brands" ?

19. davidswiss Mar 18, 2014

That must be a real kick in the head for them. I suspect that all the watches they've worked on for me would fall into that category. If they have to go to Bienne the prices will rocket up I suspect.

20. luzer Mar 18, 2014

thanks