Forums Latest Members
  1. sneer Oct 1, 2014

Guys,

please help me and tell me what i bouht? oryginal in your opinion? something interesting or regular model, from which years?
    What do you think about him? worth keeping in collection?
    thanks & regards

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Oct 1, 2014

What worries me about that watch is that the Sport Chief is the most faked vintage model, sort of. What I mean is generic non-series Longines are redialed with the Sport Chief added to attempt to increase the value. It's all 100% authentic vintage Longines parts on a watch that is correct except for the addition of the Sport Chief text. The hints are that the LONGINES is set too far to the right over the winged hourglass symbol (it can be a little offset - but on this dial it's pushed over pretty far), the S at the start of Sport Chief looks a little less fancy than I'm used to seeing (but it could be an acceptable font), and the T SWISS MADE T is rounded at a tighter arc than the curve of the dial (unless it's refraction from the crystal's edge throwing me off). Also, that caseback showing the WATERPROOF, ANTI-MAGNETIC, etc, is more of a 70's thing and the movement's serial dates it to 1966 (although it's possible Longines did this that early).

Now, I could be completely wrong which is why I put contrary information in parentheses after each point so it's best to shoot an email to Longines themselves. There's a link to inquire about a vintage watch using the serial number. They'll tell you the original case metal, what country it was shipped to, and when it was sold to their dealer.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 1, 2014

D -

Here's a good example of another Ref. 7402 Sport Chief from the "30L" website:

http://longines30l.com/longserie/12618074.htm

12618074_front.jpg

Location of logos and centering looks pretty good to me in comparison.

Here's another one with totally different hands, which I don't think are original.

http://longines30l.com/longserie/13833318.htm

13833318_front.jpg

Here's another one with the stick hands...so what do I know?

[​IMG]

This may be one of those times that you must have the watch in your hands and make your own determination.
    gatorcpa

4. marturx Oct 2, 2014

My gut feeling tells me that OP´s watch is all original. It´s a great movement in it, 30L. Made in 1966. http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/longinesserial.html

Very typical 60ies design IMO.

It could be worth to keep in the collection, but what bothers me is the (IMO) ugly patina in the dial caused by moisture. I should go for a perfect dial on one of those, but then it is a very classy and sublime dress-watch!

5. speedbird Oct 2, 2014

image.jpg

The name and font put me in mind of the legendary Super Chief passenger train