Forums Latest Members
  1. prostie1200 Apr 6, 2014

Using a Nikon 105 on a rail took 12 photographs with12 different focal points then merged and stacked them to get this final image

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 6, 2014

Nice!

3. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

How do you pull off the stacking trick? Is that a photoshop plugin or skill I haven't discovered?

Beautiful shot! That could end up in any commercial catalog and look excellent.

Light box?

4. prostie1200 Apr 6, 2014

Hi woodwkr2

No trick quite simple really - yes for convenience I do use a light box just to temper the light, but the processing is part of PSCS 5-6.

Take maybe up to 12 shots from a firm fixed tripod - use manual focus on say the Crown then slowly advance the focal point a couple of millimeters and so on taking each shot in sequence
    Then read this it explains it better than I could
    http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/focus-stacking-made-easy-with-photoshop--photo-12621
    Follow the instructions and hey presto you have a complete infocus shot across the face.
    It will also work vertically taking a complete movement from top plate to bottom

Have a go

5. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

I've been reading up on this.. and if your results are any indication, I am quite keen on giving it a go. So my next stop was in reading some reviews of the focussing rails. As usual, there's the high-end is the only thing that's not junk camp, and the Chinese knock-offs/store brand is acceptable for non-pro users camp.

I also figured that the watch stand itself could go on a rail with the camera held steady. If the rail is cheap, it will likely be far more stable with the weight of a watch rather than a honking piece of glass and sensor.

Any thoughts?

6. prostie1200 Apr 6, 2014

I do not believe there is any need for Pro tackle my rails are Chinese and only cost £23 including postage after all you only need to advance the focus by a couple of millimeters each shot and provided you tripod is substantial all should be well,

Here is a stack I have just taken of a Jumbo 30T2 keeping the camera steady on the tripod and gently adjusting the focus on the ring by hand.

Jumbo Stacked.jpg