Forums Latest Members

I Need A Daily Beater, Recommendations Please.

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 19, 2014

You can throw a G-Shock off a 10 story building and pick it up with a wee nick and no other damage.

Personally, I like Citizen auto bull head chronos and eco drive divers as daily beaters. You can hammer nails all day with those watches and they won't skip a single beat. Seiko
    also makes indestructible divers...I like those. My only complaint would be that they're a little heavy...for a watch.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Difeer Sep 26, 2014

I would recommend one of those Seiko JDMs. Maybe a sarb033? Very versatile in my opinion. I have handled one before. Great quality for the price.

3. M.D. Sep 26, 2014

Have you decided yet?

4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

In all honesty... I've not had chance to look at what takes my fancy. I was supposed to go look last Saturday but I had too much to do.

5. M.D. Sep 26, 2014

Well, you could get more than one. ;)

Keep us posted!

6. peatnick Sep 26, 2014

Bought a Swatch and a G-Shock for my college age kids who by definition give them a beating, no problems on either

Besides the excellent mechanical options of Bernhardt, Seiko, Christopher Ward and Hamilton all of which have a place in my modest collection I'd throw Steinhart in the mix

Many of their models are Rolex "homage" but the quality and customer service are solid

[​IMG]

7. Meister Sep 26, 2014

For daily beater i think your best option is a Speedmaster ck2915-1 (NOS)::bleh::

8. Long71 Sep 26, 2014

As I see it, the only problem with the Steinhart is not confusing it with your 6200.

9. peatnick Sep 26, 2014

Sadly hadn't been a concern for me, should have anticipated the problem for Darren, suggestion withdrawn :)

10. italy1861 Sep 26, 2014

Been looking at a Seiko Monster for a daily beater.. G-shock is also on the list..

11. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Sep 26, 2014

[​IMG]
    :thumbsup:

Dear God, I'm an awful photographer! I do like the Orient for a daily driver, though.

12. 2nd Mouse gets the cheese every time! Sep 26, 2014

You guys piqued my interest. There's a lot of funny/creepy/terrifying stuff out there.

This Amazon review.

And these guys:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It'd be interesting to order a couple dozen of these things from Amazon and see who shows up at your door to deliver them.

13. crwilsn Sep 26, 2014

So being an omega forum, I am surprised by the lack of omega recommendations.

How about a Seamaster Pro 300 Quartz. I have had one as my daily wear since 2000. I've dropped it, played golf in it, got weld splatter on it, dove in it, swam in middle of ocean after jumping off an Aegis Cruiser in it, and never had a problem. Three battery changes and a minor overhaul and polish and its still going strong.

I bet if you look, you can find one under a grand and maybe as low as $750. Still a lot of money compared to a casio, but you are wearing a classic.

Here's mine with along my speedy. Perfect pairing.

[​IMG]

Tritium and Privateday7 like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

Because most of us don't treat $750 watches as "beaters". It's difficult to find a decent Omega (even a vintage one) for less.

I can buy more than ten Seiko 5's Automatics for that amount, with metal bracelets:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK795-Automatic-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B0058VJWTQ

gatorcpa

15. SeanO Sep 27, 2014

admittedly at least as a quartz you'd have a reliable Omega......

16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

That's exactly why... I would treat it too well and never wear it as a beater. Going to try and look today!

17. crwilsn Sep 27, 2014

I guess that's why I prefer the term daily wear to beater. I don't want to give the impression that I abused it but I wore it every day and never worried about it. The beauty of it is that each scratch tells a story. If I wanted to, a replacement bezel and a minor polish would make it look new. Seamaster Pros are tool watches, not priceless fragile safe queens.

Seiko is a nice watch but I prefer the omega for a little bit more. Why buy any other watch when a Seiko 5 does the job fine.

Why not enjoy the watch you will end up wearing most of the time.

Remember, it's all relative, over on TRF, they talk about $10k SS Daytonas as beaters...

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Well for $26 I picked this up.

Looks cheap, feels cheap, fixes cheap!

It will get knocked about a lot and if it breaks within 12 months I get a new one!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411845523.126641.jpg

19. Mothra Sep 27, 2014

:) :) god that looks horrible. How does it make you feel?

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

Dirty!! I felt I was betraying everyone on here! Lol

I needed a 'shitter' as I actually call it for when I'm lugging around boxes and the like. I thought for $26 bucks it can break all it wants as long as it tells the time....

On a plus note.... I've picked up this off here the other week....

[​IMG]

Stewart H and Mothra like this.