Forums Latest Members

How many timepieces that cost over MSRP $1,200 do you own?

1. SundayDuffer Aug 18, 2014

None!!!! but hopefully that will change soon...eyeing on a speedy pro moon.

2. ulackfocus Aug 18, 2014

Jenny says what? :p

homebrw and LeDave like this.
  3. RCAFBuster Aug 18, 2014

Price is long forgotten after quality is appreciated. Always search out the best examples of what you want, and go for it!

JohnSteed and timeismoney like this.
  4. alam Aug 18, 2014

As Steve alluded, this would be possible only if you buy from your friends! :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. Aug 21, 2014

I only own one, though hopefully that will change in the near future. But it is a special one, because it was my first. I came across this forum trying to find a value for my Omega, so I could sell it and upgrade to a newer model. But after reading obsessively post after post, two things became apparent to me. The value of my Omega can never be measured in dollars to me, there for I will never sell it and there are a lot of watches I want to buy :). In my opinion value of something is only measure with a price on two occasions. When you buy it and when you sell it. All that time in between is measured by how much use and enjoyment you get out of it. If circumstances dictated me being a one Omega man (eg. homeless dude picking cans out the trash still wearing my Seamaster...) I would be a happy man, but I will be much happier with more than one ::jumpy::.

Stewart H likes this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 22, 2014

Not many of the watches I hold were $1200 when they were sold to the first buyer.

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Aug 22, 2014

Great advice mate, this made me feel a bit better. I have never been interested in collecting vintage though, it just never appeals to me and the design is obviously classic if you look at it, the design just looks classical. I am more of a modern type person.
    Just read that classics aren't your thing but if you go and buy a new Omega at the moment you would end up looking at a brand new copy of their earlier models. (Speedy mk11 or even sm300)

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 22, 2014

Well CK 2915 was only USD 150 back then. Connie Deluxe was USD 300 something. Clever politically correct statement Rich :D :thumbsup:

9. Spy You know my name. Aug 22, 2014

I own three watches. Two are OMEGA's (2254 SMP and a 1966 split second stopwatch; both are valued north of $1,200) and the other is a Swatch, Ruben model, from 1991(valued south of $30). I wear my 2254 everyday, use my stopwatch for timing food on the barbie, and wear the Swatch only when my 2254 needs to be serviced. Guess which one keeps the best time? The Swatch. It has never been serviced [:oops: Al] in the 22 years I have owned it and it still maintains the best time. True, I do prefer my 2254 on my wrist, but the Ruben is too valuable to be discredited as something lesser. It is about what is inside (watch and human) that matters.

CdnWatchDoc and LeDave like this.
  10. Shem Aug 23, 2014

OP, I empathize with you as I also felt the way you do when I first got into this crazy hobby. Now that I own a few "expensive" watches, I still sometimes get pangs of the same feeling when I see people with watch collections worth more than I will make in 10 lifetimes at my salary...but even more, I'm thrilled to see their success, and I'm inspired. Without exception, every single one of such people I've met (on the forums or in real life at GTGs) has been very friendly and has never once looked down on me for my choices in timepieces. If anything, they've been totally supportive if not envious at how much I enjoy the ones I do own. Further, I realize that many people would look at my collection, or even any one of my watches, and feel those same pangs of longing as I might feel looking at some collections. We're all very, very fortunate that some of our biggest problems in life are the fact that we haven't yet attained the next level of watch collecting. :p There's no reason to feel inferior, as I can say with confidence that everyone on this forum has impeccable taste. We're all in the same family when it comes to our participation in this hobby. Enjoy your SMP -- it's a gorgeous piece!

shaun hk, LeDave and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 23, 2014

The answer is, when your insurance company insist on you buying a safe, you have a few over the OP's benchmark price,