Forums Latest Members

Help with a possible scam on eBay

1. Davidt Jul 31, 2014

I don't unfortunately. I've checked my eBay account, but as it was over 90 days ago I can't view the listing to check.

I definitely paid the customs and import duty upfront though as I remember thinking 'wait, what the hell's this' when I went to eBay checkout as I assumed I would pay it in a week or so as normal.

Everything proceeded without delay though, so if anyone figures out how it's done, I can recommend it.

2. justwatchme Jul 31, 2014

It's a new feature on eBay. I can't remember what it's called, but it's the seller who has to choose to offer it (not available by default on every listing). eBay uses a third party to estimate duties and taxes and collect them up front - effectively handling customs on behalf of both parties

3. Dogmann Aug 1, 2014

Hi all,

I have also noticed this new feature on some E-Bay sales and whilst it may seem convenient and time saving in my experience the amount of duty and charges was a lot more than it should of been if i had to pay UK customs myself which is already bad enough at 20%. It is one of the reasons why unless it is something i really want or need or the price really is to good that i am now focusing on only buying items from within the EU. It really makes things too expensive when getting hit with an extra 20% of final cost including shipping so IMO is beat avoided if possible.

Marc