Forums Latest Members
  1. brainhao Feb 28, 2015

Found this Compax for sale but I don't know anything about it. I hope someone here could shed light on this piece. TIA!

image.jpg
  2. ELV web Feb 28, 2015

Redial, stay away.

3. brainhao Feb 28, 2015

How could you tell? Newb here sorry. If it's a redial, value is next to nothing?

4. ELV web Feb 28, 2015

image.jpg The inking is not even and too thick. The subdials overlapping with outer dials, the fonts etc. Etc. Take a look at this one and compare for yourself. Also browse through this forum, it will surely help. Always, don't rush to buy, a right and correct specimen can always be found at reasonable price.

HeuerLoon and brainhao like this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 28, 2015

Wot ELV web said. You have to spend a little time to develop the eye for redials, and there is no better exercise that studying authentic dials.

Regarding value, it is worth essentially the sum of the usable parts. Usually, that amounts to the movement as there is not much demand for spare steel cases.

6. brainhao Feb 28, 2015

So I have to take a look at the movement now to be able to determine fair value? Should I get an original untouched dial to replace this?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 28, 2015

It's nearly always cheaper to find a proper watch to buy in the first place than to rehabilitate a wreck. Only when the watch is a particularly rare reference (which this is not) are the effort and funds well spent.

I meant that this is essentially a parts watch.

HeuerLoon and lenny like this.
  8. ELV web Mar 1, 2015