Forums Latest Members

Glashütte Original Movement Finishing

1. Shem Dec 23, 2013

Between spending too much time on watch forums and reading the couple GO threads that just appeared here, I'm really thinking about getting a PanoMaticLunar. I've heard, though, that Glashütte Original's movement finishing is much better on the exhibition case back side and that they neglect the dial side to keep cost down. Is this true? More generally, for those of you who own (or better yet watchmakers who service) high-end watches, how does the movement decoration compare to, say, Lange or Patek?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

Shem, May I ask what case metal are you interested in for this watch?

3. Shem Dec 23, 2013

Stainless with all-white dials (as opposed to the silver ring dials).

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

That could be a problem with Lange, unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money on one of the rare 1990's produced watches at auction (these watches were never really for sale to begin with) . All of the models commercially available from them are Gold, White Gold or Platinum. The few stainless auctioned ones can go around 100k or more.

5. Shem Dec 23, 2013

Hmm, this thread is about Glashütte Original, not Lange, except perhaps to compare the level of movement finishing between them...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

True, but if they don't have a watch for you to buy, it may be irrelevant

Anyway I don't have first hand experience observations on the backside of either watch, but my understanding is that Glashutte finishes the fronts of all and the dial side of the plate, but not the backs of all of the bridges and that Lange finishes the back of everything.
    Archer may have some first hand experience to enlighten us with or correct me. Al?

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 23, 2013

Yes that is my understanding also. Lange finishes on all areas of the plate etc. even those that you are unable to see.