Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Sep 22, 2013

Only just noticed this! :p Most likely a service mark. There is nothing etched inside the caseback, so most likely.

2. Dablitzer Sep 23, 2013

Thanks for the comments guys! :) I fear this is the start of a very slippery slope into Sports Omega....::facepalm2::

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 23, 2013

That's a dangerous slope.......:whistling: Seriously, probably no other watch brand has more connection to sport than Omega.

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2013

Challenged!
    [​IMG]

Syrte and Dablitzer like this.
  5. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2013

Longines, Seiko, and Rolex are easily in the same league. ;)

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 23, 2013

Hmmmm......... I should ask my assistant to do more research.........:p
    [​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. cristos71 Sep 23, 2013

Here's a little something to help wet your appetite ;)

IMG_3755.JPG

Ssunnylee24, Apa, stefan and 3 others like this.
  8. cvalue13 Sep 23, 2013

Dibs on the 1040/.007 Yachting! Do let me know when you need to be rid of it.

9. cvalue13 Sep 23, 2013

This is the watch worn by the central character in last season's final episode of the TV show Breaking Bad. I wonder if there was a sudden spike in interest. It is a beautiful watch.

10. Hijak Sep 23, 2013

Think this wet a little more than my appetite!:oops:

cristos71 likes this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 23, 2013

*ahem* I believe he actually wore the modern version. I prefer the vintage version...and the vintage celebrity placement as well!
    Tag-Heuer-Monaco-steve-mcqueen.jpg

...but you are right, it's a beautiful watch, even in its modern version, a special for blue dial lovers.

Peppe, watchyouwant and cvalue13 like this.
  12. Dablitzer Sep 23, 2013

Stop right there Christos.... I can't breathe...::popcorn:: (man, I like the last two, looking from left to right..)

13. dragoman Sep 23, 2013

Just three days ago I explained in a Spanish forum that the watch I was most decepcioned with was a white Amiraute I managed to get some time ago. I just can't find the right strap for it, and it just don't get any wrist time. I even got the Omega filo-flex for it (but apparently with the wrong endlinks).

I ended that post with the sentence "Nevertheless, I'm a pigheaded nutcase that doesn't know when to accept defeat, and I know how this will end: with another Amiraute, with the right filo-flex".

Guess who won this tonite:

Captura.JPG

In any case, there must be something in the air, because in that Spanish forum there has also been a spurt of interest in Amirautes recently.

14. Dablitzer Sep 23, 2013

Congrats!

Any ideas about the use for these? as there were Seamasters around at the time..

It would be good to see your current Amirautes! :thumbsup:

Cheers

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

As the Olympics are the recognized (recognised) International Standard for sport, you non-Omegans' can stick it !

16. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2013

Longines timed the first modern Olympics in 1892 and since Oslo in 1952 has been the official Olympics timer 14 times.

Do I need to mention Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart, and the International Aeronautics Federation? Longines did patent the flyback chronograph.

Lots of clocks in the old time baseball parks were made by Longines, including Yankee Stadium. They were the official timer of quite a few US sports teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers.

Horse racing, Formula One racing, Skiing, Tennis, and more than 30 Tour de Frances were all officially timed by Longines.

Just a little counterstick. ;) :p

watchyouwant likes this.
  17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 23, 2013

Yup. Longines is not far behind Omega.:thumbsup:

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2013

Yea, but the Kiwi's have Omega on their hull and they're winning !!! (Tough one for me as the Americans have Tag on their hull and I'm no Tag fan)

Besides, look where lawn jeans got Amelia !

19. cristos71 Sep 24, 2013

As far as I'm aware the Geneve line was introduced as an affordable entry into the Omega world. Targeting a young market sports variations would have been deemed necessary. But as can be seen from the water resistance of most models in this range they were placed lower than the Seamaster in the grand scheme of things.

At the bottom right of this page can also be seen a couple of Omega Automatic Geneve's, I had the 366.0823, even in AJTT these are described as, "Two versions of a "diver's" watch". The use of the speech marks is telling, and with their 30m water resistance these watches are more fashion over function.

[​IMG]

Luckily, today most of us won't be getting them wet anyway so we can just appreciate the design aspects without having the waterproofing issue:)

Here's my old Geneve "diver"

DPP_0002.JPG

dragoman and Dablitzer like this.
  20. ulackfocus Sep 24, 2013

The original Genève line was the manual wind counterpart to the Constellation, and only later in the 60's was transformed into the step above the DeVille line.

Dablitzer and dragoman like this.