Forums Latest Members
  1. travisrock Mar 3, 2015

Does anyone in CT know of a watchmaker that could swap out a bezel on my speedy for me quickly and affordably? Preferably close to Cromwell. Thanks in advance!

2. travisrock Mar 6, 2015

Bump- anyone? anything? Got my bezel today and wanna get this on ASAP :D

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

I guarantee your best bet would be to use one of the many (or, few?) superstar stud watchmakers who are part of this community for any Omega work or repairs. Round trip (insured, if you're the nervous sort) safe, expedited shipping will cost you roughly 70 bucks depending on how much insurance you want.

do a little research here and look at the quality of the work these magic men do. better than anyone in Bienne, by a mile.

Edited Mar 7, 2015
  4. travisrock Mar 7, 2015

Noted and will do! Where might I look for this kind of info / contact stuff on here? Any usernames you would suggest?

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 7, 2015

I would try and develop a long term relationship with Al Archer. He's got the patience of a saint and he'll photo and video document his work on your watch so it's literally like your sitting in his uber modern shop watching him work on your watch.

Archer isn't just a battery and mainspring changer. He's like the Jimi Hendrix of watch making and repair. He was a true pioneer in creating his own watch making company.

He's arguably the leading Omega repair guy in North America,,,and did I mention...he has the patience of a saint.

He's passionate about educating watch owners and collectors about how their little machines work. From the simplest 2 hand watch to the most complicated references.

If his plate is too full he'll be straight as an arrow with you ( pun intended as he's a world class archer ). Dude is like Ernest Hemingway vs. Les Paul.

I would contact him by private message, explain what your general plans are for your future as a watch enthusiast and see if you guys are on the same page you're in luck . What I wouldn't do is start dictating terms to him like "I need this done by Tuesday".

Ironically, I've never done a penny of business with Mr. Archer and all of my anecdotes are based on observation.

I'm fortunate enough to have a relationship with a watchmaker perhaps as competent as Al. But, my guy is a friend and he doesn't take new clients.

Al is upfront about his pricing for everything and the money you save with him will be a fraction of the very safe method of secure shipping and handling. You don't even need to leave your house.

6. travisrock Mar 7, 2015

Funny you mention that- someone (ashley steadman) who submitted an article to a site my friend and I organized led me to him as he helped him acquire the parts for two of his restomodded speedys. I'll have to shoot him an email and see if he'd be up for the task.

I've heard nothing but great things about Al, but have read a few places that he isn't taking new clients as his plate is full. Maybe it's worth biting the bullet time wise and money wise to have it shipped out- didn't think finding a reputable watchmaker in CT would be this difficult, but after a few phone calls friday after noon it seems that may be the case. They're far and few between nowadays!

7. Stryker Mar 9, 2015

Actually, you should try Lenox Jewelers in Fairfield. A long established firm with in house watchmakers along with a substantial stable of referral sources should you need more exotic work done.

8. travisrock Mar 9, 2015

Thank you! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I did purchase a crystal press with correct die to affix this myself, I'm going to attempt this as it seems pretty easy.

9. guelerct Mar 10, 2015

Did you get your bezel switched out?
    I have used CT Timekeepers in Stratford to service my Omegas and they do a very nice job

travisrock likes this.
  10. travisrock Mar 12, 2015

I did! That was actually a super easy thing to do, and I'm glad I did it myself. Good learning experience! Bought a crystal press with nylon dies and did it myself in 2 minutes- easy peasy :D Good to know for the future though!

citizenrich likes this.
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 13, 2015

You could share your step by step experience here..... I guess many would like to know....

12. KIMBER Mar 13, 2015

I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

13. ctpete Mar 13, 2015

I would as well.

14. travisrock Mar 14, 2015

My next day with some spare time I'll do a step by step with photos and some words! Maybe I'll even make it a blog post on my site for a quick reference. :thumbsup:

Privateday7 and KIMBER like this.