Forums Latest Members
  1. pcdubc Nov 19, 2014

Hello everyone,

I've just acquired a beautiful vintage chronograph from the 60's (here in the forum!). This is my very first vintage watch, so I'm not very keen on how to care for it on a daily basis (other than routine service), and would love your advice. Currently, the dial of the watch is nearly pristine, and I would really like to preserve that aspect of the watch. However, I do plan to wear it in rotation with my other 2 watches, so it will get 1-2 days of wrist time per week. Is there a way to wear your vintage watch regularly, AND keep it looking and running perfect?

Thanks so much for your input. Will post pics ASAP.

2. John R Smith Nov 19, 2014

Vintage Omegas were well-built, rugged watches when they were made and they are no different today if recently serviced. One or two days a week of use should be no problem, however -

* Do not leave the dial in direct sunlight (on a table by a window, for example)

* Do not expect a fifty-year old watch to be waterproof. Remove it when in the shower, swimming, or washing the car

Otherwise, wear it and enjoy your vintage Omega! :thumbsup:

3. pcdubc Nov 19, 2014

Thanks John, for your very practical advice. I will keep that in mind!

4. mozambique Nov 30, 2014

Out of interest, is there a recommended frequency for servicing?

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 1, 2014

There are many opinions on the appropriate service intervals.

I always service a newly-purchased vintage watch, unless the seller can provide documentation of a recent service. Claiming a service has been performed in the sales listing does not constitute documentation.

At the frequency of wear you mentioned, I would personally feel comfortable with service interval of 4-5 years.