Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 30, 2014

Too much even for me. Nice patinated, but damaged dial but even so....

Antiquorum Lot 84 in New York

84.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

Does not impress me.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 30, 2014

Those Rolex tropical dial junkies really drove the price up.

FabCo and citizenrich like this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 30, 2014

Likely so.

And given prices for those, this Speedy was huge bargain, relatively speaking.

5. Davidt Sep 30, 2014

I know it's very much down to personal preference, but this is straying too far from patina and too close to tired for me. Especially at that price.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

Its just a bad condition dial, that's not an even natural browning of a nice dial, its damaged... And it's what 45% to AQ between both ends on top of that?

7. Dablitzer Sep 30, 2014

That's not tropical, that's a s**t dial. Sorry, but this is just too far....::facepalm2::

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

Movement was flagged as 3-6*, 3 means good on their scale of 1-5, though 4 and 5 basically never get used as far as I've seen, 6 means oxidised.

Oxidised is how they describe the dial, so perhaps parts of the movement have turned a pleasing shade of chocolate too.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Sep 30, 2014

I will never understand why people put so much dough on these speed masters?!!!
    for some reason i never liked these speedies.

10. cristos71 Sep 30, 2014

When I compare these 2 photos of the 2998 next to each other the results seem, to my untrained eye, quite revealing.

Just taking the bezel and lugs as examples, in the Antiquorum picture they certainly appear to be in a lot better condition than when seen in the real world, just look at the Tachymetre area of the bezel to see what I mean. The lugs too appear to have a better chamfer in the catalogue picture.

I hope it won´t be a case of buyers remorse for whoever dropped 23 large, possibly sight unseen

29981.jpg

2998.jpeg

FabCo likes this.
  11. RCAFBuster Sep 30, 2014

Thankfully I don't really care for the Tropical look. These auction price spikes do a lot of damage to the overall collecting community, as this will become the new 'norm'.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

That bezel dent that looks insignificant in the official pic looks a bit less insignificant up close as well, in fact the whole bezel looks nice and even in the marketing picture.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

They have been known to touch these up with photoshop

14. ICONO Sep 30, 2014

Sorry Alex - Entirely disagree....Personally I think, there is a kind of brutal honesty to the watch that is very attractive, in terms of weathered design.

In my opinion, ( & professional experience ), it is about recognising the often compelling momentum, behind the financial dynamics of personal subjective perception, as opposed to other peoples 'cold light of day' reality.

This was not bought by an 'average Joe'.......

Personally, I understand why it went for that price, and would be surprised if it was not, a spectacularly sound 'medium term' investment, within its own niche market place.

Just look at Rolex Red Subs over the last 10 years - In 2003, Eric Claptons personal 'Red Sub' 1680, sold in a Charity Auction, for £6000.........Can you imagine that now ?

After Classic Cars, vintage watches are the strongest, most consistently performing, ROI on the Planet.

15. cristos71 Sep 30, 2014

You make it sound so innocent :whistling:

16. Dablitzer Sep 30, 2014

That's perfectly reasonable and I take on your opinion, but that one's mine ;)

The watch is showing its brutal honesty, which is fine, but I believe it comes from a niche, or select few who believe that buying this kind of watch is a symbol or trend, I do not, however. I can see the angle coming from the Rolex collectors who buy for big money to have unusual aged dials...but, sacrifice condition.

I guess it comes down to age and tastes (when I'm older bladibla...), I like to find my watches in the best possible condition, doesn't mean to say that it has to please anyone else, or appeal, it's just my opinion, and route In collecting.

I believe the fact the watch was touched up has to say something about imagery and trickery of modern "airbrushing" and how it effects the overall impression and balance we perceive. Not in my opinion a good thing!

Hijak likes this.
  17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 30, 2014

It is quite possible to find tropical dials in a speedmaster in better condition - tropical does not mean beat up. I personally think this watch is overpriced - remember - condition, condition, condition.

SpikiSpikester and marturx like this.
  18. ICONO Sep 30, 2014

As a professional photographer - I suspect what you can see is a degree of pixelation & moiré ....The camera resolution is not sufficiently high enough / the enlargement is too great .......rather than 'cloning' or smoothing,...... or what you might describe as airbrushing.

The harshness of the copy lighting, also suggests that perhaps, there is an element of dichroic colour imbalance......Colour not recording correctly.

If it was retouched.........Trust me, you would not see it, ......unless it was executed by a rank amateur.

However......Having dealt with a couple of International Auction Houses, that possibility of sheer incompetence, certainly exists

Without exception - Every digital image should be raised in contrast / brightness, & also be sharpened - That is not technically retouching, simply an attempt to emulate the precise clarity, & breadth of contrast that film possessed..........Something that digital photography has not yet quite the ability to do.

19. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 30, 2014

I made the comment to someone the other day that if I were to part with mine it would not be for anything under 16K. Obviously a rethink is necessary:D
    image.jpg

ock2915, FabCo, Dablitzer and 4 others like this.
  20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 30, 2014

Interesting discussions.

As a strong bidder for this watch I can tell you I value these "degraded" dials for their character, and the already worn cases because I can wear them without fear that a single knock will devalue it.

i would rather own the Aq watch than the fine example from Barking Mad. It is a fine watch, but for me, I prefer some character. No offence intended at all, it's a great watch, and I would love to own it as well, I am just making the point if I had to choose.

But that's just me.

except it's not just me, there were at least 4 bidders to 18,000.