Forums Latest Members

FS 1943 Universal Geneve Compax SERVICED with Rare Dial

1. Waynepjr Jul 18, 2014

OVERHAULED AND READY TO WEAR!!
    Offered for sale is my 1943 Universal Geneve Compax in gilt rose gold finish. This Universal Compax was acquired from the original owner who purchased it from the Henri Stern Co., New York City in late 1943 before shipping overseas to fight in the Pacific theater as a US Army Air Corp. P51 fighter pilot during WW2. He would later be called back to active duty to once again fly P51 fighters in the Korean War and this Compax was on his wrist once again.
    During one of his final training flights before returning once again to civilian life, he somehow hit his Compax on the interior of his aircraft knocking the crown and stem out. Not realizing this until his return to the airfield, he was able to locate the parts in the floor of the aircraft. Removing the Compax and placing it in a shoebox, he would have it fixed when he returned home. That was 1954.
    That day would never come and this Compax would sit in the shoebox for the next 60 years until it was found again by the owner and his family while relocating to another home earlier this year. Sadly, the original crown was lost to time. Other than the crown and new crystal, this is an all original watch.
    This watch is just back from having a complete overhaul and cleaning just 3 weeks ago. It is READY TO WEAR AND ENJOY!
    It was important to me that this piece retain the look it had the day it was last worn. My watchmaker did a light case and dial cleaning with no cosmetic changes, trying not to otherwise enhance the looks of the watch. A complete movement overhaul was performed and the results are as you see, a fantastically preserved cal. 285 that is running as strong as the day it was assembled. A testament to the strength and durability of a fine timepiece that served its owner faithfully through not one but two wars.
    The dial of this Compax has the very rare and still bright and readable red inner Telemeter Scale, a photo of which can be seen on page 273 of Universal Watch Geneve by Sala. The case of this piece still retains much of its original rose gold finish, not pristine by any means but a survivor in the true meaning of the word. Watch is topped with a new crystal and the original comes with it to retain provenance. Not offered with a strap, that I leave to the personal taste of the new owner.
    Priced at $2500 or reasonable offer. Free shipping to US. Will ship overseas to select countries, ask for quote. PayPal + 4%, bank transfer, check, courier.
    media=youtube]SFpPBLWMw7s[/media]

Best,
    Wayne

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Event horizon likes this.
  2. Waynepjr Jul 18, 2014

With those not having access to Sala's book, here is the referenced photo.
    Also at the bottom of the watch description above you will find a YouTube link to the watch in operation.

Wayne
    image.jpg

3. Waynepjr Jul 18, 2014

A wrist shot for those wondering.....

image.jpg

4. woodwkr2 Jul 18, 2014

Beautiful, and with a helluva life story. I'd like to meet that gentleman. Something tells me we'd all enjoy his stories.

That's a great price for a serviced and ready to go piece. Shouldn't last long.

GLWTS!

Dedalus and Waynepjr like this.
  5. CdnWatchDoc Jul 19, 2014

A true survivor watch...thanks for the story! Great watch for an excellent price!

Waynepjr likes this.
  6. Waynepjr Jul 20, 2014

Gents, even without the history of the watch this piece is a nice piece. You won't see this dial on your buddy's arm PLUS an overhauled and ready to wear watch, what is that worth to you? Time? Money? Both? Some don't factor this cost in till "it needs an overhaul, I didn't know that!!' when their UG gets home and isn't running proper. Happen to anyone...... Ain't cheap. To most. Just a thought.

Wayne

7. Waynepjr Jul 22, 2014

Bump.... Offers?

8. Waynepjr Jul 25, 2014

Weekend Bump!!! Offers, Heartbeats out there?

Wayne

9. Waynepjr Jul 27, 2014

Sunday reduce: $2000 OBO.

Wayne

10. Waynepjr Jul 28, 2014

OHPF!

Wayne

11. CdnWatchDoc Jul 29, 2014

Very good! I knew that watch would find its way to another wrist...and the aviation connection is grand!

Waynepjr likes this.
  12. Waynepjr Jul 29, 2014

Going to Hong Kong!! Just waiting to clear PayPal. Thanks!! Doc, you got to get on Nat as he has not picked up the watch yet.

13. Waynepjr Jul 30, 2014

SOLD!!! Staying in the OF family to a new member. Thank you for the support of all the OF members!

Best,
    Wayne

14. Hotwheelbill Jul 30, 2014

Glad to hear. Enjoy HK.