Forums Latest Members

Zodiac Super Sea Wolf! What is under the case back?

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Mar 22, 2018

I prefer to purchase vintage watches that are local to me. That way I have the watch in hand to inspect the watch. I have been looking for a decent example of this model for some time. This one appears to be a fairly early example.

As you car see the case back gasket is toast. Some corrosion on the outer edge of the case back. The watchmaker I deal with can clean most of that up on his lathe when it goes into his shop for overhaul.

I do not plan on using the watch for diving so the corrosion is a non issue to me. It appears the watch was last serviced in 2001.

The movement is in dire need of a good overhaul. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase. I am in the process of locating some gaskets and a new crystal to give to the watchmaker for the overhaul.

Giving the watchmaker some casing parts makes it easier for both of us. Supplying some of the parts makes for a faster turnaround time for me.

014.jpg 032.jpg 035.jpg 051.jpg
    Edited Mar 22, 2018
    noelekal, Lou P, Mtek and 4 others like this.
  2. roryoc11 Mar 22, 2018

Great find- these watches have it all- v72, panda dial, bakelite bezel and tonneau case! . You rarely see these with such a well preserved dial and bezel either.

voere likes this.
  3. Mtek Mar 22, 2018

This watch has so much style, thanks for opening it up and sharing the pics.

voere likes this.
  4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Mar 22, 2018

Thanks
    I thought it would be interesting to see the how gaskets fail and corrosion sets in. I'm lucky that this watch was not used for diving. The movement would have been a rust bucket. I have been burned before on vintage divers. They looked great on the outside but the movement was another story

On this zodiac so far so good. The watchmaker that will overhaul the watch has case parts. And a great stock of V.72 movement parts Hopefully the V72 movement will not need alot of parts. That will keep the cost down. Restoring these old beaters is in for a penny in for a pound type of thing.

Mtek likes this.
  5. roadsternet Mar 25, 2018

So nice and perfect,but need a new bottem gasket ring ;)

6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Mar 25, 2018

Thanks
    This Zodiac will need all the gaskets replaced. When I removed the case back I was tempted to clean the area of the old gasket. Since the watch will go in for service. I did not bother to clean up that mess. When gaskets are this deteriorated. That gunk and gasket pieces falls into the case around the movement and is a pain in the A to remove. It is best to remove the movement..