Forums Latest Members

Zenith's Red-headed Stepchild From The 70s

1. Veritas99 May 29, 2013

In 1935, Paul Vermot founded "Paul Vermot & Co. S.A.", a small watch company that eventually adopted the name "Mondia Watch Company." The company capitalized on a growing Italian market, and, in 1969, was one of the founding members of MZM Holding (standing for Movado, Zenith and Mondia). It was turned into an entry-level brand for the group and sourced its movements from ETA and AS, rather than use Zenith movements. When the quartz crisis hit in the mid-70s, Mondia went away. Zenith owned the rights for awhile and eventually sold them off to an Italian company that puts out watches under the old brand name.

Despite its lowly status within MZM, I've always liked some of Mondia's funky 70s designs. I finally managed to snag a red Mondia Moonstone, shown below on top of an early 70s Zenith brochure with some of the other color options.

[​IMG]

The case is uni-body plastic and opens from the front.
    [​IMG]

No spring bars and only a very thin opening for a strap. I'm on the hunt for a thin NATO strap to replace the original leather that has seen better days.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to a watch blog with the yellow version, here's a movement shot. It looks like the Moonstone is powered by an AS 1950/51 calibre manual movement.
    [​IMG]
    Movement Image from: http://www.crazywatches.pl/mondia-moonstone-mystery-dial-1975

Thanks for reading,
    Veritas99

alefar likes this.
  2. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

Looks more like a UFO than the moon.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 29, 2013

Love it! Great period piece, and about time somebody dipped into Mondia. I should have known it would be you - you have the eye for the fringe pieces.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 29, 2013

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 29, 2013

Dig it. Reminds me of the Fiberglas Favre-Leuba Moon Raider.

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 29, 2013

I bet Ikepod got some inspiration from this. Nice and interesting watch. Thanks for sharing.

7. John Chris Il Duca de Luca May 29, 2013

Put a handle on it, grab a broom, a flask of Rye and a sheet of ice, and hey! it's mini-curling night!. Great addition to the collection, Mike

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2013

they are awesome! can i ask how much that one might be worth?

9. danomar May 30, 2013

Cool! Instead of rubies it uses Swiss Moonstone in the movement! It's written on the back... Or did I make a mistake? :p