Forums Latest Members

Zenith updating/redesigning overlapping subdials on El Primero

1. kurtj29 Apr 10, 2017

It looks like Zenith has redesigned their subdials to address concerns about the readability of the subdials. I really like the new design. I heard that Jean-Claude Biver promised to make smaller subdials that are all legible now throughout collection. Looks like they are delivering - screen shot from their Instagram account today. I like the new subdial design. It also looks like they deleted the 3rd line of text at the top of the dial, less text! I like it!

IMG_0521.PNG

Edited Apr 10, 2017
    Kmart and ahartfie like this.
  2. mike@speedy Apr 11, 2017

Hello there!
    The 3rd line has been deleted at the 45mm version, which is new.
    at 42mm is still there(36000 vph)
    Maybe till the stock of 42mm dials ends,
    With or without this dial is amazing.

Good times to everybody

kurtj29 likes this.
  3. mike@speedy Apr 12, 2017

........smaller subdials.........
    they look smaller cause of the bigger dimensions of the dial(45mm).
    I think 42mm is more balanced between the original 1969 38mm and 45mm.
    But the final decision to which to pull the trigger is on the wrist!

42mm for me

Cheers

4. kurtj29 Apr 12, 2017

I stole some screen grabs from a thread over on the WatchProSite. The gentlemen there represented these were the new 38mm and 42mm updates.

Here is the 38mm. No 3rd line of text. The subdials do look smaller. I have a 42mm so don't really know.
    IMG_0537.JPG

And here is the 42mm. Note the difference in the sub-dials and no 3rd line of text. Note that I don't think in the example of the 42mm that the subdials are smaller but the overlapping positioning has changed.

IMG_0536.JPG

5. ICONO Apr 12, 2017

I am not entirely convinced that moving the dials closer together, improves clarity

I can see a basic radial flaw, with scale already

The masters of 'readability' are still IWC and Tudor

6. kurtj29 Apr 12, 2017

I am not sure what you are saying. You can't move the subdials closer - they are bound by the movement. You can make the subdials either smaller or larger but the position is defined by the movement. Note that Rolex used the same movement on the Daytona without an overlapping design - hence smaller subdials.

I don't think Zenith is in the readability game.

BTW - I have a 42mm El Primero and it's extremely readable. Big thick hands that stand out from the dial. I never have trouble reading it. I put it on par (maybe a little lower) with my old Rolex Polar Explorer 42mm 216570 - the king of readability. My friend, who has a Daytona, has said to me - "I love the watch, I just can't read what time it is..."

I would add, the king of readability is Grand Seiko.

Edited Apr 12, 2017
  7. ICONO Apr 12, 2017

@kurtj29 ……Evidently I phrased it clumsily

Perhaps my comment would have been better expressed as 'merging' the dials......to visually combine the information

I find the new proximity, lacking in balance, spatially.....and at least one colour too many

However you say ; "I don't think Zenith is in the readabilty game" ……so why re design the sub dials to address concerns about readability ?

I take your point regarding the King Seiko.…masterly simplicity……but I thought we were discussing chronographs ?

8. mike@speedy Apr 12, 2017

You are right there are new, zenith hasen't update her site.
    The hour subdial at 6 now is under the other two subdials,
    like the vintage el primero of 1969,
    I hope zenith not to discontinue the tricolor 42mm.

You can compare Readability of iwc not with el primero but with the pilot series of zenith.
    I dont like tudor so i can,t compare it.

Cheers

9. oaclondon Apr 12, 2017

I sold my zenith partly due to the overlapping readability issues. Might have to consider it again! Well done biver.

10. ICONO Apr 12, 2017

"You can compare Readability of iwc not with el primero but with the pilot series of zenith."

I own an early generation IWC Fliegerchronograph, which like the ( inevitable ) Speedmaster uses a monochromatic dial, making simpler and easier to read

11. Kmart Apr 12, 2017

If Zenith makes this change for the Original 1969 in 38mm (have they already? It's not very clear), it's going to head right to the top of my wishlist. The El Primero is such an amazing watch but that one niggling issue with it was really the only reason I wouldn't buy the old version.

propervinyl and Jwit like this.
  12. jfwoodman Apr 12, 2017

38 looks better than the 42, and is a much welcome change. Those overlapping dials were on non-starter for me.

13. mike@speedy Apr 12, 2017

From early chronographs the master of speed is the boss!
    In el primero i don,t find such a diference with the older model,

Cheers

14. kurtj29 Apr 12, 2017

The tri-color dial layout is basic to the Zenith Chronograph El Primero DNA. If you don't like the 3 colors, Zenith is not your watch. I love the 3 color dial layout. The only Zenith I would buy would be the tri-color layout.

Other discussion around 38mm v. 42mm Let's just be thankful that Zenith offers the El Primero for those that like sub 40mm watches and those that like 42mm watches - unlike other manufactures.

I have the 42mm Striking 10th, with overlapping subdials, in this case the overlapping does not hinder readability at all - thankfully.
    IMG_1874.JPG