Forums Latest Members
  1. westmtn Dec 6, 2016

I'm not too familiar with these. Does anyone spot any problems? Apparently 35mm. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 6, 2016

It has a Cal 40 movement which is a good point but this one is definitely in need of a service. That would back up a case size of 34 to 35 mm.

It is missing the plastic dust cover that was a characteristic of the Sporto range - good luck with finding one of those.

The thing that makes me feel uneasy is the lack of "SWISS" immediately below the minute chapter at 6 O'clock. Having said that, the fonts look to be correct as do the shapes of the numerals.

3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 6, 2016

Would you expect the subdial to be guilloched?

Also, non-luminous hands with a luminous dial. Is that normal?

Edited Dec 6, 2016
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 6, 2016

The main problem is that it is not on my wrist. :rolleyes:

ulackfocus and westmtn like this.
  5. westmtn Dec 6, 2016

My thoughts exactly. The lack of SWISS bothered me as well though I have seen similar dials without it. For example:

IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG

For what it's worth this watch also comes with an authentic buckle.

IMG_2350.JPG

ulackfocus likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 6, 2016

Both valid points. I can't really make out (on my iPad mini) if there is any radial pattern on the sub-dial but these often came with skeletised numerals that were not intended to be luminous so the hands could be correct and if it has been redialled, that could account for both inconsistencies.

7. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 6, 2016

Appreciate the response. I would have expected a cleaner movement given the condition of the dial. The texture is not to my liking either but I have a poor track record when it comes to Zenith dials.

Edited Dec 6, 2016
  8. westmtn Dec 7, 2016

Does the movement look worn or is it just showing it's age? It could have been sitting with a loose caseback for a number of years and developed some corrosion. I don't see any watchmaker markings on the caseback.

After looking at a number of examples I'm thinking the dial has to be original. If it's a redial it's a damn good one. There are examples with and without the radial subdial and the SWISS font. I'll grant you the hands are strange. I would think they would be lumed and most examples with the military dials do have lumed hands. I can't find another example with this exact case but the case, crown, and dial condition do match.

I'm suspecting a hand change and nothing more but would love to hear some more opinions.

Examples:

IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2356.PNG
    IMG_2357.JPG

9. westmtn Dec 12, 2016

I've been told that my watch (from the first post) is pictured in the Rössler book on pg. 144. If anyone has a copy would they mind posting it up? It would be much appreciated. Thanks OF.