Zenith Captain Cal. 71 Bumper in Rose Gold

Posts
84
Likes
258
Just bought this yesterday. Love the minty rose gold case and the rosey tone of the colour. Looks like it was never opened and the watchmaker just serviced it for the first time.

Plus the bonus original crown!

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers
Weihao

 
IMG_7167.mov - 44.2 MB
Posts
8,246
Likes
29,135
Congratulations! Beautiful condition, and one of my favorite bumper movements.
 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
That looks like a beauty, and very sharp for a gold case.
 
Posts
18,735
Likes
38,884
Very nice example!
Case was made for Zenith by Classicor SA, La Chaux-de-Fonds.
 
Posts
84
Likes
258
Thank you all! Indeed one of my favourite movements and models from the vintage world. I have another one in YG but kept it somewhere else. Hopefully the two can reunite soon 😀.
 
Posts
84
Likes
258
Here’s the other cal 71 brother. I am curious to see how the gold tones compare against one another.

 
Posts
84
Likes
258
Indeed. I particularly like the crown which I think is also very functional (for winding). I’m not sure of the crown is solid gold as I have seen some wornout ones on delux versions.

Overall I’m happy with the purchase!
 
Posts
40
Likes
208
Nothing beats a sharp gold case, congratulations
 
Posts
84
Likes
258
Here’s the comparison with the yellow gold brother. Although there’s a fair bit of tarnish on the yellow gold and I’m not polishing it to keep the vintage look.

 
IMG_7373.mov - 22.8 MB
Posts
204
Likes
352
Fantastic Zenith Cal. 71. Thanks for sharing it. Here’s mine in rose gold. These old bumpers still can’t keep excellent time.

 
Posts
183
Likes
170
Lovely watch, Weihao! I have a rose gold version with the gold dial. What really interests me is the engraving on the caseback of both your watches. Both yours and mine have the stylized "Z" logo-like engraving. So does the example Rössler shows on p. 119 of his reference book on Zenith. But Rössler maintains that this is some random addition unconnected to either Zenith or the case-maker. But now we have yours and mine, three Captains with the same engraving. Doesn't seem random to me. Anyone have any thoughts about its origins? BTW, your watches are in really good condition! Congrats.
 
Posts
84
Likes
258
Thanks John. I must have seen the Z engraving a numbers of times, not just on mine.

Do you mind showing us yours? Rose gold with gold dials aren’t common…
 
Posts
1,993
Likes
3,575
Lovely watch, Weihao! I have a rose gold version with the gold dial. What really interests me is the engraving on the caseback of both your watches. Both yours and mine have the stylized "Z" logo-like engraving. So does the example Rössler shows on p. 119 of his reference book on Zenith. But Rössler maintains that this is some random addition unconnected to either Zenith or the case-maker. But now we have yours and mine, three Captains with the same engraving. Doesn't seem random to me. Anyone have any thoughts about its origins? BTW, your watches are in really good condition! Congrat
 
Posts
1,993
Likes
3,575
Lots of Zenith Captain models have the Z on the caseback with the old ships wheel engraving.
 
Posts
183
Likes
170
Thanks John. I must have seen the Z engraving a numbers of times, not just on mine.

Do you mind showing us yours? Rose gold with gold dials aren’t common…
Here is a shot of it.

 
Posts
183
Likes
170
Lots of Zenith Captain models have the Z on the caseback with the old ships wheel engraving.
Thanks, CaptainW. So the question becomes, is this a logo added by Zenith? Hard to imagine how else so many of this model have it. I've not seen it on models other than the "Captain".
 
Posts
183
Likes
170
Fantastic Zenith Cal. 71. Thanks for sharing it. Here’s mine in rose gold. These old bumpers still can’t keep excellent time.

A beauty. I presume you meant "still can keep excellent time". I have two, cal. 71 and cal. 133.8, and both keep excellent time!