Forums Latest Members

Zenith A386 at future Christies

1. trs May 24, 2016

I saw this listed for upcoming June 7 auction
    http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3229&sid=1c85ed58-ce83-43c2-92ea-156b52d3b9dc

as I look, I am thinking (trying to learn still):
    - replacement hands?
    - seconds sub-register hand is a replacement (can't see other hands so not sure)
    - tachymetre scale I have never seen before
    - case polished
    Do those sound correct?

Does anyone here have experience with Christie's, and know if they are generally forthcoming about watches?
    Or do they just leave it up to people to inspect in person and decide for themselves, with no additional comments on what isn't original to the watch (no condition report available).
    Thank you every one

papaebetu likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2016

In my experience Christies are the most honest of the auction houses and tend to be quick to make corrections or pull a listing if there are concerns which can't be said for some of the others. I'm curious to see what this one goes for, not that many A386s going at open auctions recently.

3. Mlafra May 25, 2016

to answer your questions, I think:

- replacement hands? --> Not 100% sure but I think so
    - seconds sub-register hand is a replacement (can't see other hands so not sure) --> For sure replaced, too short and doesn'e end flat, probably the others to. Also the central red second hand is a replacement.
    - tachymetre scale I have never seen before --> Same here, never seen it before and I have seen my fair share of A386s, all three MKs. Hence I think it is not original.
    - case polished --> On this I don't agree too much and in any case it is very hard to judge from a front picture. Where these A386s give away over polishing is in the bevels but you really need a picture at an angle to see that clearly. From the front picture to be honest the case looks ok judging from the still brushed finish on the lugs.

Another interesting thing would be to see the crown, many many of them are later replacement with the inverted star instead of the correct pointed star.

It looks like a MKII or MKIII. Strange they don't mention the case number, they usually do. If they don't perhaps it is not visible which could mean an over polished case back... hard to say!

It would be interesting to see what this will go for and even more interesting would be to see how much an all correct MKI would go for, these are really rare and very seldom seen.

4. JohnSteed May 25, 2016

Hope these can be helpful

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

watchknut and ELV web like this.
  5. papaebetu May 26, 2016

That's what market has now....
    Poor quality, high price, but it's so with not only Zenith

GIGI