Forums Latest Members

Zenith 18k Compax Black Face Cal. 156 38mm - Dating

1. JYar Sep 8, 2017

I am trying to date this Three Register Compax I purchased. I noticed that the "Zenith" lettering is different than several other versions of the Compax. I would appreciate any assistance, the black dial seems to be particularly unusual.

Zenith Compax.jpg
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 8, 2017

The dial is not original. Was it advertised as such? This greatly reduces the value of the watch to collectors.

JYar likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 9, 2017

Probably a 1950s watch, but you would get more accurate dating info from the case number than the dial, which is indeed a redial. Besides the odd font for 'Zenith,' note the odd '9' of the hour subdial.

JYar likes this.
  4. JYar Sep 11, 2017

Hi Fellas,

Thank you for your quick responses. Unfortunately, I did complete the purchase for this watch it was advertised as an authentic zenith compax. It was advertised as being from the 40's, which is why I was a little forgiving on the font differences from the compax's released in the 50's. However it would seem that the 9 on the hour subdial is an issue. I have all the serial numbers, including the case manufacturer (Jung & Cie.) however, I cannot locate any type of directory that would relate these numbers to anything useful. I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 11, 2017

The whole dial is an issue. You can count the number of authentic reverse panda dials from the 1940s on the fingers of one hand.

6. jumpingsecond Sep 11, 2017

Hey JYar-
    Are you happy with the way it looks and what it cost? If not - can you talk to the seller about a return?

7. JYar Sep 12, 2017

Hi
    To be honest I am at a crossroads, and new to this hobby, I really enjoy the research involved in the history of each piece. I think despite being a redial, the piece is handsome looking, and the remaining watch (38mm), case (18k gold), crown and movement ( cal. 156) all seem to be authentic. However I do find it to be a reminder of poor decision making, and its intrinsic history is dulled by being a refurbishment... I guess the questions is: I paid $1500 for it, is it possible to find an equally handsome but authentic time piece at that same price point?

8. NT931 Sep 12, 2017

If you're talking about non-redialled vintage Zenith dress chronographs that are that size (38mm), I don't think so. Probably $2k and up I think.

9. jumpingsecond Sep 12, 2017

fuckin hell- If it were me I'd contact the seller and tell him he masqueraded an inauthentic watch.

Also don't get too down. We've all paid the proverbial noob tax diving in headfirst and not realizing somebody pissed in the pool.
    I'd learn from it and move ahead.

Check this out as you go on: https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

10. JYar Sep 12, 2017

Thanks man, I really appreciate the advice and reference!

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 12, 2017

Right. That's tuition. There isn't a person here who hasn't paid it.

propervinyl likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2017

You don't want to ask us what it's worth with the condition of the dial ( backwards 9 just to start )
    If you can return due to misrepresented issues, don't blink and do it.

As LouS said we have all paid noob tax ( and we all know now there is heaps of members here that will help out )

13. JYar Sep 13, 2017

I just thought I would share the conclusion, thankfully, I was able to return the watch, and I am now stalking the auctions for an authentic one! Thank You!

propervinyl, Hijak, billving and 6 others like this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 13, 2017

that's great!

propervinyl likes this.