Forums Latest Members
  1. Roel Jan 13, 2013

I'm in the market looking for my first Omega vintage watch and I'm looking on Ebay for Connies 551, 561 and 564. I could need some help in identifying a genuine from a franken one as I'm new to this.

In this particular 551 (eBay link below), the seller advertised it as having a refinished dial. I presume he means the watch still has the original dial but just refinished and not coming from another watch. Can you please help validate that?

Also, it is advertised as having an 18K gold bezel. Was there a model of this watch with a 14k gold bezel?

Any other thoughts and inputs on this particular watch regarding its desirability or lack of it (from buying perspective) are highly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380554996619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Roel

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 13, 2013

Hi, and welcome.
    Yes, it means it is the original dial that has been repainted. From a collecting perspective, that dramatically reduces its value, and most people here won't buy refinished dials.
    'Franken' refers to when the watch has been put together from pieces of other watches - imagine putting a nice BMW logo on the front of a Ford. This watch is model
    14381 (see the inside caseback), which should have a cal 551 (which your ebay one does, so 'tick', but it is one of those checks you need to do).

On the bezel issue, no idea. It wouldn't change value much, as it is a stainless steel watch, just with a gold bezel.

From Omega Vintage Databse:
    Gents' leather strap

Reference
    CK 14381
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic chronometer certified
    Caliber number: 551
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    "De luxe", "pie-pan" type, luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold "Dauphine" hands.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

In my view, it is a fairly good redial though, the issues being:
    - some of the minute markers are too thick
    - the "constellation" font is too thick
    - the minute track markers are sometimes right on the pie pan edge, and sometimes move away a bit

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 13, 2013

The bezels on these gold and stainless steel Constellations were 14K gold NOT 18K.