Forums Latest Members
  1. pascalj Mar 4, 2015

Hi all

New to buying watches but have wanted an Omega for a long while so looking to take the plunge.

Have found this watch which I really like. As far as I can tell it's a legit 160.020 (or ST 160.0020) but I can't find any other photos of this dial or similar so I'm wondering if it's a legit Omega dial.

Also wondering on what you'd value the watch at.

Thanks!

FRtRXoY[1].png uTDxW0Y[1].png
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 4, 2015

First time I have seen that layout on a De Ville and judging by the quality I would say it is a redial.

3. Hijak Mar 4, 2015

Looks like a redial to me too.:(

4. TNTwatch Mar 4, 2015

The second picture is soft due to out of focus or picture enlargement, so assessment based on it would say redial. In contrast, the first picture is sharp and show a high quality and finely printed dial, based on which this is a nice original dial.

The case does not seem to be in great shape which may affect the value a bit.

5. pascalj Mar 4, 2015

Thanks for the replies everyone. What sort of value would you put on the watch?

I've attached another two pictures one of which shows the detail on the Seamaster and De Ville text a lot better than the soft focus one and makes me think it may be legitimate? The only thing that worries me is the fact I can't find anything about these "waffle" dials on SMDVs...

ubpX4m5[1].png 6TNmnQG[1].png
    Edited Mar 4, 2015
  6. TNTwatch Mar 4, 2015

Rust signs on hands and dial. Soft gold-capped case. Serviced but about 3 times overpriced.

checkerSMDV.JPG

7. pascalj Mar 4, 2015

Thank you :)

One to swerve though? I love the design and would like to buy a similar dial but given I haven't seen one anything like it I'm worried I won't find another one like it?

8. TNTwatch Mar 4, 2015

Very unique dial. Just buy the dial only or for the price of the dial only if you can. :)

9. pascalj Mar 4, 2015

Can't see him selling just the dial - I think he's put a lot of time into servicing it looking at the pictures. What would the price of the dial only be in your opinion?

10. TNTwatch Mar 4, 2015

Hard to put value on the only one in existence, but if you want to splurge, around $1K maybe, but not at more than $2K like this.

11. Hijak Mar 4, 2015

Honestly I wouldn't pay anywhere near that...I still believe this is a redial.
    look at these pictures of what font should look like...
    Omega Seamaster De Ville 1963, 1 - Copy.jpg Omega Seamaster De Ville 1963, 1.jpg
    Specifically I don't like the As in automatic and the De Ville doesn't have the serifs either (look closely at the Ds and Es in De Ville).

12. TNTwatch Mar 4, 2015

You're right. Wrong S also.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2015

They've tried to make it a "racing dial" and add other features to it but really I'd not be buying it even if it were under $350, you can get a decent original DeVille for well under a grand if you look around