Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Sep 23, 2016

I would like to get your thoughts on this Ranchero that I was thinking about. It just sold (as I was waiting for seller to confirm something non watch related for me) so needless to say, I wont be buying it. It would be good to get feedback on it none the less. please and thank you

From the research I think it is 2990-1. Seller claims all original, no touch ups. It looks that way to me, but maybe I missed something. Lume seems like it wasnt touched up or painted over. I loved the look of the honeycomb dial. Hands look to be original and not replacements from another watch. Case back, not sure if it is new or original. Looks really clean and new to me. Rest of the case doesnt look too polished, if at all. Only reason I was kinda on the fence is because of gold plating. Just gold cases in general, not sure how I feel about them. Rest of the watch I really liked. Also, not sure if price was fair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282189622380Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks for the help.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 23, 2016

A Ranchero with a honeycomb dial? I've not seen that before.

::popcorn::

3. micampe Sep 23, 2016

Photos are all blurry but from what's visible it looks nice, the plating is unworn and the dial looks aged but not too bad. Kinda expensive to me but there's so few of these that I think it's reall up to how much you want it. I hope it wasn't bought to transplant the hands on one of the "regular" Ranchero.

@Bill Sohne discussed a similar one and didn't seem to doubt the textured dial. I think we've seen it here before too but I don't have the thread bookmarked.

I also learned recently here that the archives extract is unnecessary on 2990s, as they all come back as Ranchero.

Edited Sep 23, 2016
    cvrle1 and oddboy like this.
  4. cvrle1 Sep 23, 2016

There were one or 2 more I saw just doing a google search. Doesnt mean they are original just because they exist in multiples I suppose.

[​IMG]

I am guessing you are thinking this isnt the original dial then? :)

5. 72c Sep 23, 2016

I liked this, looked correct. I'm really just an apprentice as far as Rancheros are concerned so perhaps others will be along to say otherwise, but crown, hands and dial looked original to me and with those elements alone you're virtually half way there on Rancheros.

Case had clearly been buffed at some stage, caseback almost certainly shouldn't be that shiny, and for the price I would have wanted to see inside caseback/movement photos. Also a bit strange the vendor cropped the extract at the top before the specific part where it should say Ranchero? But despite all that, overall vibes were good.

Price maybe the biggest question mark. You'd think on the high side for GP but decent original Rancheros are crazy hard to find and it looks like it's gone now so it seems the market decided it was priced correctly. Finding another is the next challenge. Good luck!

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 23, 2016

I'm not an expert with Rancheros by any means. I've just never seen a textured dial before, but from the comments above, it sounds like it's ok.

You could always see if @pitpro has an opinion.

7. cvrle1 Sep 23, 2016

Yeah, I messaged seller to inquire about import charges that are shown (270 GBP) and see if they can be taken off as I would have rather dealt with potential taxes and such myself. He replied that he was looking into it, but that someone BIN-ed in the meantime, so it is gone. I also asked for a shot or 2 of the movement, ut as the watch sold I never received those either.

it is what it is, next one will come up sooner or later. Thats part of it I guess, thrill of the chase haha

8. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 24, 2016

Nice looking watch. Wonder if someone here grabbed it?

9. DIV Sep 24, 2016

I'm way late to this party, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of any of this Ranchero.
    How interesting is it to see the "modern" Omega symbol on the dial of this 1950's model....pretty cool.

10. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

Thanks everyone for the responses. Good to know that I was right on the assessment in regards to the authenticity. Kinda sucks that I missed out on it, but it seems to be running theme for me. Found few good deals (nothing crazy like Ed White for $1400) but due to lack of knowledge didnt jump on any of them. Guess that is the way things go during learning process. Just hope I am able to find few more once I have more knowledge and am able to actually take advantage of them. Regardless of the outcome, help and info is much appreciated.

11. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

Well, this just got a bit more interesting. I got a message from seller, asking me if I still would be interested in buying this watch. Reason is that buyer wants to do the transaction outside of eBay, and wants to use PO address to ship to. Seller doesnt want to do that for obvious reasons.

Now I need to decide if this price is in fact good deal or not. I will need to get some more pics 1st for sure. But if all looks good, should I bite?

12. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

I was talking to the seller and received several more pics. He said while he is no expert he believes that case back is original, as the wear looks consistent as the rest of the watch. Looking at new pics he sent I think that could be possible. It doesnt seem as new as eBay one makes it look. It does have PK2990 engraved in the back. Serial number matches with the extract shown as well, so that is good. I would really appreciate some help with this one. Looking at all original sold Ranchero's that didnt go through redials, relumes and so on, this looks to be a good price. Please do correct me if I am wrong. Much appreciated

upload_2016-9-24_11-58-36.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_11-59-5.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_11-59-49.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_12-0-26.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_12-0-54.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_12-1-15.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-24_12-1-44.jpeg

13. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

Just received another update, Seller cancelled the winning bid and watch is available if I want it. He said there were way too many red flags for him and didnt feel comfortable continuing on.

14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 24, 2016

Not really sure what else you want to hear from the the forum ? ::confused2:: Seems to me you got good feedback and its time to make up your mind. DIdn't this indecisiveness cause you to loose the watch the first time around?

Davidt likes this.
  15. cvrle1 Sep 24, 2016

2 main requests:
    Did I miss something in thinking it is all original? Last time I thought I got my bases covered, I bought fake watch, so would like to get confirmation from folks that know their stuff and not make same mistake again
    2nd question is price really. I know watch is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and all that, but I want to make sure I dont get taken money wise. It is hard to find going price range for these, as lot of them have had some work done, and thus are not original.

That is really it :)

Thanks

16. Steve1haggart Sep 25, 2016

pm

Edited Sep 25, 2016
  17. Davidt Sep 25, 2016

Do you actually want this watch or do you just want a good deal?
    If you love it, who cares if it's slightly over it under priced? If you're just interested as you think it's good value then I'd pass.

cristos71 and cvrle1 like this.
  18. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 25, 2016

Hi

i think its a cool watch.. looks good to me... is that yellow gold plate? or rose... cant tell from my cel phone... either way...

I always like them now the price? that is up to you..

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

cvrle1 likes this.
  19. tdn-dk Sep 25, 2016

This one has just sold from a Danish watchmaker for 10.800 DKK = 1450 €:

The logo seems similar

R1.JPG R2.JPG

cvrle1 likes this.
  20. cvrle1 Sep 25, 2016

Thanks again everyone. 2 reasons why I am on the fence, after sleeping on it. I am not sure how I feel about gold case. I never owned gold watch before so not sure how that would look on my wrist. I love everything else, especially that HC dial. It is so unique and different than other Rancero's.

2nd is piss poor Canadian Dollar (yay Canada) i think price is few £ too high, and adding in conversion makes it even more expensive watch. . My worry is that if I decide I just cant pull off the gold watch look and want to sell, I will lose a fair amount of $ due to these 2 factors. Finally this same watch was being sold last year for £600 less by same seller (same pics as ones above I posted) so there is that as well.

I sent message to the seller with pretty much same info, so we'll see what he says.

Regardless, I really do appreciate all the help and guidance so far, and sorry about being a pain with all the questions and flip flopping