Forums Latest Members

Your opinions please on this 145.022-74 Speedmaster

1. Taybharr May 20, 2019

Hello all,

Been a fan of the forum for a while but this is my first time posting. My impression is that there are a lot of intelligent and helpful people on here so I thought I would throw this out there. I have researched Speedmaster references for quite a while but my eyes are still being "trained" as I am fairly new to the world of vintage watches.

I just purchased this speedy on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...%2F9k2h7PQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I felt confident in the originality of the components based on my readings on here, speedmaster101, fratello, etc. (but please let me know if I am wrong on this!!). One thing I was really attracted to was the lume, but wanted to ask the group if they thought it might be a relume? Specifically, I thought the 6 o'clock marker looked a little funny, almost offset. In addition, while I liked the color of the chrono hand, it is a bit inconsistent with the minute/hour hands and markers. The lume in the chrono hand does appear to fill the corners well though, which made me lean toward the lume job being original. The seller said "original service hands" in the posting but later clarified in an edit that they were original. Will be posting HD photos of the watch on here when I get it in person, but wanted to go ahead and kick off the conversation. Taking everything into account, the watch/price combination was attractive to me but I am open to criticisms.

2. bikehomero May 20, 2019

Your wellcome, I try:

Lume of the indexes are good. Shrinking, like at 6 o'clock is normal. Has some doubts abot the originality of the hands lume as well. We will see better, if it's in your hands and you can post better fotos.

Case has some wear but doesn't look bad. Maybe it had got little polish in the past or maybe it only seems like as a result of the foto quality.

Caseback is very good.

Plasticbrake in the movement seems a little yellow and there is a little corrision as well. You should check water resistance soon.

Correct bezel in very nice shape.

Crown, need better fotos.

Can't see the Omegalogo at the cristal and it needs a polish.

Period correct trapezoid 1171 looks a little below average.

You can find at 101 you've payed a "running" price and get a nice original 1171 bracelet as well. I would rate this watch above "running" maybe near almost "good". I think this was a good deal.

Here a foto of shrinked lume from my 74:

DSC_1362.JPG

Edit: To compare, you can find the complete presentation of my 145.022-74 here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-new-old-speedmaster-professional-145-022-74.88776/

Edited May 20, 2019
    Etp095, Passover and Taybharr like this.
  3. Taybharr May 20, 2019

Thanks, @bikehomero. Will take a look at your write-up as well. I'm glad you think the lume on the dial is original. Overall, I agree with your assessment, although I think I maybe overlooked some things you are saying about the movement. I noticed it had the plastic brake, which I read was correct for this movement. Should it be white? Also, where exactly do you see some corrosion?

4. bikehomero May 20, 2019

Plastic is correct, yellow may have different sources. Cigarettesmoke over a long time or eldering process of the delrin. UV action is rather unlikely.
    I saw corrosion in the picture on the left corner. Left next to the type designation 861.

Taybharr likes this.
  5. Taybharr May 23, 2019

I wish I was reposting under happier circumstances, but unfortunately I discovered a major undisclosed issue with the watch on its arrival. Thankfully, I have the ability to return. Excuse the poor quality of the photos as I am using my iPhone in a poorly lit apartment but I think you all should be able to see what I’m on about.

As you can see from the photos below, the top left lug has been polished to the point of being rounded off. The seller did a good job of disguising this in the posting’s pictures. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it...

As this was meant to be my wife’s present to me for my 30th birthday, I will return it and seek a more fitting 145.022... anyone have any suggestions???

2A58AF11-43C9-4B6E-A4EA-4EF7A0E85CAE.jpeg 6D34BC6B-DF85-41A5-B35C-FED31858DF24.jpeg

Etp095 likes this.
  6. WYO_Watch May 23, 2019

That’s a tough break. I would have expected that have been disclosed instead of simply saying the case is in “excellent condition.”

My .02 is this - if you love the dial and verified the service, maybe you snag a new case for it. If you’re not sold, return it and find something else. Do you want vintage, and if so, what degree? 90s tritium looks pretty dang nice imo, and if you’re not date specific I’d look to add a bit more money and go for a -69.

7. Taybharr May 23, 2019

I do really love the dial...but for the price I paid I’m expecting a good condition ready-to-go watch, rather than now having to buy a case. Case description was definitely not all there and the seller did a good job concealing it in the photos. I’m with you on the 90s speedies, and if I could find a birth year 1989, even better. I also agree with you that it can be worth it to spend a bit more and get a step dial. Started perusing some of the OF watch sales, and there are some 145.022s on there. My inclination would be to go for a -69 or -71 but the right deal would need to come along...

WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

Dial was wrong for a -74 as well. That was a late 77 and later dial with a drop S.

Well in some shots...

He has pictures of 2 watches. In the ones where you can see the lug it’s a drop S. In others a tall S...

Taybharr likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

Taybharr likes this.
  10. Taybharr May 23, 2019

I thought the S for the -74 was supposed to stop a bit above the bottom of the p...doesn’t the later dial have the S going down further?

BD2139EA-FFFD-4443-8FE6-90DBA6409BB2.jpeg

11. BenBagbag May 23, 2019

Ah this is sportrolexes.

There's a trmhread around here where he was being dodgy about a speedmaster with an "Ultraman" style second hand. He wouldn't confirm or deny that it was Ultraman. But he knew it wasn't. Some shadiness like that...

Taybharr likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

That is right. I edited my post... he has 2 dials in his pictures.

Taybharr likes this.
  13. Taybharr May 23, 2019

14. Taybharr May 23, 2019

Wow. Good eye ️‍♂️

BenBagbag likes this.
  15. Taybharr May 23, 2019

Note to self...don’t use the emoji board on the iPhone on OF...doesn’t work right...was supposed to be :thumbsup:

::facepalm2::

16. Taybharr May 23, 2019

Geez...I didn’t notice that before. A lot to learn over here...

17. JwRosenthal May 23, 2019

Foo2rama and Taybharr like this.
  18. Taybharr May 23, 2019

Many thanks, I will definitely give it a look :)

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

Whoops I linked the wrong one my bad... @JwRosenthal is correct!!!!

Taybharr likes this.
  20. Taybharr May 23, 2019

Awesome, thanks to you both. The nice thing about this one is it is very drivable to Chicago from where I live...after this first debacle would prefer a F2F...sent him a PM with a question