Forums Latest Members

Your opinions on Vintage Omega stainless steel 1950s 284 movement

1. xinu Oct 16, 2013

I would like to get your comments on this as advertised "Vintage Omega stainless steel 1950s 284 movement".

This will be my first Omega purchase and on the surface seems to be untouched and keeps time according to the seller.
    I don't plan on spending much more than $200 US. Do you think that is reasonable? Any red flags?

1.jpg

3.JPG Crystal has a few scratches. The dial looks OK for the age and the movement looks good to my untrained eye.

2.JPG
    4.JPG

Thanks for your help.

2. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

The only red flag I see is your $200 cap. Scoring that under your budget would be a nice snag. Is it an open auction listing or is the seller going to accept an offer that low?

3. xinu Oct 16, 2013

It's an open auction but not much action on it so far but I know it all starts in the last minute. What do you think the cap should be?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

These sell $300-400 , sometimes more depending on the dial and condition.

5. xinu Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the price range. I'll have to ratchet up my cap. The dial seems good. I have no real information on the seller's reputation.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 16, 2013

+1

Towards the high end, particularly if its more than 34mm.

7. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

Make that +2 - the lugs still have a good bit of their bevelled edges. Collectors like that. The dial is very Flagship 30LS-esque.

cicindela likes this.
  8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 16, 2013

What the others said. I would be surprised if it the final bid was below 300$

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

Nice watch with traces of normal use. I would be proud to wear it.
    Good luck with the auction,
    gatorcpa

10. xinu Oct 25, 2013

Well I was excited today when watch I won on ebay came in the mail.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221297950480&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:CA:3160Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I was happy with the price which seemed below the range estimate give in previous posts.
    I asked the seller if it ran and kept good time and received conformation as well as the updated ebay condition info.

So being a newbie I'm feeling some doubts on the overall condition of the watch and I'm hoping to get some advice from you folks.

The watch was represented well in the pictures. I really didn't care about the strap and it did met my crap expectations.

I'm uncomfortable with the wind feel of the watch. It doesn't feel right. I don't want to over wind it. I don't know how smooth and how much feedback I should be feeling with the wind. Do you think this is a key issue?

The watch does not keep time. I runs and is at least 5 mins per hour slow (maybe a simple adjustment). The second hand sweep slows down near 11 o'clock creeps around the top.

Changing the time is smooth.

My first thought is to send it back to the seller since it doesn't meet advertised condition and live to buy another day. But on the other hand I'm wondering if it is worth the cost of sending to watchmaker for service. Any advice. Is the potential service required costly?

I would appreciate you thoughts.

11. xinu Oct 25, 2013

Oh well it has now stopped after few hours on the wrist. I guess I'm experiencing one of the joys of vintage watches:)

12. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 25, 2013

Any mechanical watch will need servicing from time to time and if you buy a vintage watch from eBay I'd always expect to service it sooner rather than later - assuming you plan to wear it regularly of course.

You got this for a good price, so just get it cleaned and serviced and all will be well. Shouldn't need doing again for at least 5 years. In the UK a service for a non-automatic would cost you around £100 so say $150-ish.

Even if you sent this back and bought another, the chances are that would need a service too.

13. xinu Oct 25, 2013

I know this question is very subjective but do you think the watch is worth the service cost?

14. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 25, 2013

If you don't think it's worth the service cost then maybe mechanical watches are not for you!

15. John R Smith Oct 25, 2013

By any standards you got this watch for a very low price. But these problems may well be outside the realm of a simple service, so be prepared for bad news when you take it to a watchmaker. Losing 5 mins in the hour is not fixable by adjusting the regulator. And if you can see the second hand altering speed around the dial then something is very worn indeed.

16. ulackfocus Oct 25, 2013

Return the watch. Take the money and buy a battery powered quartz watch at the mall. Move on and be happy.

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 25, 2013

There is no such thing as "over winding" a watch.

It sounds to me as though you are not winding the watch fully, which is why it stopped after only a few hours and can also cause it to run slow.

You'd need to use pliers on the crown to either break the mainspring or stem.

xinu likes this.
  18. xinu Oct 25, 2013

Believe me, I hope I'm not ruffling any feathers here. I'm trying to learn. A $250 buck lesson is worth it to me. Where else can you learn about the buying watches other than getting into the game. If I wanted to buy a modern watch I would use your advice.

19. xinu Oct 25, 2013

Thank you that is great advice. I tried it and was tough to wind but now it is coming back to live. Much appreciated

20. John R Smith Oct 25, 2013

On these 2xx series movements it takes roughly 30-35 winds to wind them fully from completely run-down. After 24 hours they usually need 23-25 winds to get them back up to full again. When the watch is fully wound you will feel the crown stop turning and (unless you use Norm's pliers ;) ) you will be unable to wind any more. Then check it's time keeping over a decent period - at least 12 hours.

We grey-haired ancient ones tend to forget that most people these days have never wound a watch in their lives . . .

benjclark and xinu like this.