Forums Latest Members
  1. Martinibianco Mar 14, 2015

Hi everyone, I have the chance to purchase this Constellation 2782-3 SC and appreciate your comments on it before I pull the trigger..

Dial has some stains which looks like they'll be difficult to remove, otherwise looks authentic when I compare against photos of those of the same model. Seller says the movement is a Cal 354, service history unknown but running. Serial number is 139xxxxxxx. Case shows use but still in reasonable condition. Movement looks like it's in need of some care.

So is this watch authentic/orginal? What will be the fair market price for a watch in this condition? I'm really not familiar with the older Bumper Connies so will appreciate your comments on it. Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. John R Smith Mar 14, 2015

Hello. This Constellation looks to be authentic and original apart from the crown, which has been replaced with a later Seamaster item. The hands are correct, and the dial is guilloche (waffle) but has a lot of patina which is really dirt caused by careless handling in the past. The arrow hour batons are gold and very desirable. The case seems fine and not over polished with a good medallion on the rear with all eight stars visible. The movement is the correct cal 354 but is dirty and will need a service - note that the regulator is at full retard which indicates the need for a clean and lubrication.

Giff2577 and ChrisN like this.
  3. Martinibianco Mar 14, 2015

Hi John, thanks for your input, glad to know it's authentic other than the crown. Pity about the dirty dial, do you think it can be cleaned easily by a watchmaker? That is my main concern. Also, any major issue about the movement, or just that it needs to be serviced? Appreciate your advice!

4. TNTwatch Mar 14, 2015

I think it's oxidation or degradation of the lacquer layer on the dial rather than dirt, and cannot be cleaned easily without risk of destroying the dial. The movements looks OK so a good service will take care of it. Buy it or not depends on whether you like the dial as it is and whether you're comfortable with the price or not.

5. John R Smith Mar 15, 2015

Dials can very rarely be cleaned satisfactorily, especially guilloche ones like this. The likelihood is that if you try, you will lose the lettering and the minute ticks. So you really have to decide whether you can live with it as it is. Sadly, this kind of discolouration is not very attractive and I for one would try to find a better example.

6. sryukon Mar 15, 2015

I like it as is!! get is serviced and enjoy!!

7. Aroma Mar 15, 2015

I have a gold capped one and I love it - don't do anything with the dial other than a light brushing. Get it serviced though.

8. Crossfire Mar 15, 2015

Looks totaly fine for me

9. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 15, 2015

how much does the seller ask for? i wouldnt pay more than 700/800 euro for it. service will cost about 250-300 euro.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 15, 2015

Looks ok to me...I'm interested if you pass. :)

11. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Mar 15, 2015

I'm interested if you both pass!

12. Martinibianco Mar 18, 2015

After thinking about it, much as I wanted to have a bumper Connie in my collection, I have decided to pass on this one, mainly because I am not confident that the dial can be cleaned up to a condition which I can accept.

Thanks all for your comments.