Forums Latest Members
  1. twj1972 May 22, 2013

Hi there-
    Newbie to site and vintage Omegas. I was hoping to get some feedback on these 2 watches I came across on ebay. I'm a fan of the black dials.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400489465946?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This other one is the one I kind of like best but there are a couple of things that give me pause- The red lettering of Seamaster and the Omega logo on the dial, but tell me what you think. Seller states dial has been professionally redone:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/271206792538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Both sellers have solid ratings

Thanks for any input/ advice you're able to offer!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2013

Both watches have dials repainted and are a little over priced for what they actually are. The movement on the first does not look good.

3. twj1972 May 22, 2013

Thanks cicindela- what should one expect to pay for something like this? in researching these as best as i'm able through other vintage omega sites, dealers, etc it seems early-mid 60's avg price is $700-900. Of course those movements and dials could be in better shape.
    i also understand that it's not unusual for black dials to be repainted, so i'm not sure if that is a deal breaker for me but i would be concerned about the quality of restoration- which is why the 2nd one stood out. in my limited experience i havent seen one with "Seamaster" in red and the "Omega" seems to be a stamped piece (the letters look connected) mounted on the dial.
    i've posed these questions to the seller and am waiting a response but wanted to verify with other collectors.
    Thanks again

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 22, 2013

The applied OMEGA logo is quite typical as on the second watch, however the red Seamaster is pure fantasy for this type of Seamaster, something the seller simply had done when the dial was refinished.

5. twj1972 May 22, 2013

Awesome good to know X350, I had my suspicions. Thank you