Forums Latest Members
  1. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

I'm in communications with a seller of a 68 Transitional, and was hoping to solicit input from the experts here. It's obviously not in the best of shape, but appears honest, and I believe an agreement can be reached on the price such that it is priced accordingly, which makes it attractive to me. All of the main characteristics of the 145.022 Transitionals are present, with the exception of the bracelet. Hands are missing the lume and not in the greatest of shape, the dial looks promising with a generally attractive patina under a well scratched crystal. Case looks good to me, but case evaluations are not my strongest suit. Bezel is the obvious weak point, and I don't mind the "wabi" since I intend to wear it, but I am concerned about the alignment, and if it can be realigned given the dent at the top. Any thoughts or insight you can share is appreciated.

DSCF0592.JPG DSCF0595.JPG DSCF0601.JPG DSCF0602.JPG DSCF0609.JPG DSCF0619.JPG DSCF0622.JPG DSCF0630.JPG DSCF0634.JPG
  2. TNTwatch Sep 3, 2015

Lume still present on hands but darkened and not as nice as the dial. Is the movement running? Is it being used? When it was last serviced?

3. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

I should have included that info, my apologies. Reported to be running well, functioning properly (although I'm not 100% sure the 12hr register is resetting exactly to zero). No service history, was taken in on a trade.

4. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

an additional image: [​IMG]

5. Davidt Sep 3, 2015

I think that would clean up very well with a service, good clean and a new crystal. Are all the white flecks also on the crystal and not on the dial?

The bezel isn't great but it could be realigned while you keep an eye out for another.

The hands often appear to age to a darker colour than the dial, so I'd say they could well be original. Serial also matches, so looks like an honest, original watch.

I'd certainly factor in a clean and full service though.

blubarb and Spacefruit like this.
  6. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

Thanks @Davidt3449, seller has confirmed that the dial appears free of any marks or debris, and anything seen in the pictures is on the crystal.

Can anyone share what is involved in realigning the bezel?

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger, we often see so many watches on here that turn out so much better than the seller's pics after a little TLC, I'm just hoping this will be one of those.

7. Davidt Sep 3, 2015

I'd get the bezel removed and realigned at service. Just make sure whoever you send it to has the correct tools.

It's much more satisfying buying a watch like this, covered in scratches and crap, before you get to see its potential revealed. A good clean and new/polished crystal can do wonders.

What's the asking price?

8. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

I just realized that either the "T SWISS MADE T" is covered or not present....

9. lwong Sep 3, 2015

Curious as to what's the (potential) damage on this piece?

10. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

Can you elaborate on this, please?

11. Davidt Sep 3, 2015

I'd assumed it was just the angle. I'd want that verifying before proceeding.

12. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

Seller states that the "T SWISS MADE T" text is not visible. Is that common if the crystal has been previously replaced and the the rehaut was misaligned or such? Maybe this happened when the bezel got twisted?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2015

It could just be an incorrect crystal, this should be an Omega part with black friction ring, but I've seen people fit the silver friction ring ones, and a variety of generics that can cover part of the dial.

gophishin likes this.
  14. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

Thanks, rehaut does appear to be silver and not black. I suppose that's reassuring. And if I replace the hesalite anyways, I'm guessing it would be standard procedure to do the rehaut too?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 3, 2015

Comes as a package deal for $30

gophishin likes this.
  16. wsfarrell Sep 3, 2015

Do you have a source for $30 crystals? Looks like $62 + shipping at ofrei.

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 3, 2015

Subject to verifying the dial, I think you have a good chance of having a very nice example after service, and I mean a proper service at STS or similar standard.

It needs that service

18. TNTwatch Sep 3, 2015

The bezel alignment is nothing to worried about but the movement is a bigger concern financially. Swiss Made may have been worn out or scrubbed away by previous incorrect rehaut as this one doesn't appear to cover anywhere close to the hour/minute markers. Better pictures may verify it.

(I've seen this watch somewhere but can't recall at the moment.)

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 3, 2015

Looks decent to me. I think it would clean up nicely. for the right price, that could be a nice one.

20. gophishin Sep 3, 2015

Thanks @Spacefruit, just for my general knowledge and learning, are there any giveaways or caution flags that make you say that? With a watch like this, I would want to make sure it's getting a proper service by a well qualified, vintage friendly, trusted watchmaker, and not the local guy swapping batteries, but thought I'd clarify. Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment though.

Seems there isn't a way to verify if the T SM T is present or not at this point, so I'd be taking a leap of faith there, but I also seem to have hit an impasse with the seller as well. He does seem to have a steady history as a seller on WUS and eBay but doesn't take PayPal. I'm waiting to see if he will take a credit card, but I'm a little weary of doing a wire transfer from the USA to Romania...