Forums Latest Members

Your opinion of the Apollo XVII 40th anniversary

1. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 5, 2015

Hey guys and watchcollectors :)

I have a Problem ... i do have allready a small collection of Speedys at home, but the fever didn't stop!
    I have the feeling its getting worse and will continue and continue ...

Now i do saw a Speedy live which i have never really noticed or did not felt like: 'I do need this one' .... IN THE PAST!

This one:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...tch/anniversary-limited-series/31130423099002

http://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...er-professional-apollo-xvii-40th-anniversary/

Live - this watch is a really really pretty thing and now i read a bit about it and looked pictures at g**gle and so on ...
    The illness is back ...

Do you know that feeling of joy ... holding it in your hands in the jewellery? Do you know that feeling goning out without
    a bag and this watch inside? Do you know that feeling laying in your bad and think about this watch? Do you know that
    feeling writing a post about a watch you love - recently?

What is your opinion of the Apollo XVII 40th anniversary with its silver dial? What is your opinion about this watch in general?

Best regards,
    Hans

[​IMG]

2. repoman Mar 5, 2015

They say that is the first step to recovery!

Oh yes... I have five Speedmaster (or is it 6?, yes 6), and it's only getting worse. That's the essence of the addiction, no matter how many more you buy, you just want more !!!!

I think all of us like different things, that's what makes it fun. This LE Speedy is my least favorite. I'm not sold on the mission emblem dial, it looks like a coin to me, and I find it really hard to tell the time with this background and dark hands. I do like the color and texture, and of course its a Speedy Pro, so its an awesome watch inside. Don't let what others think change your mind, its fun to ask and get opinions, but this is a matter of aesthetics and what appeals to you personally. If you love it, and its sounds like you really do, go and get it, and really enjoy the piece. It will *definitely* be an attention grabber, that's for sure.

watchme and hansmaulwurf like this.
  3. maxtor71 Mar 5, 2015

The Apollo 17 40th anniversary is one polarizing watch. On one hand, a lot of people just hate it but on the other, there are people who are totally blown away by that silver dial. I love it and it's funny this thread came up now because I'm also arguing it's case with @DLT222 on Whatsapp ;).

Max

4. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2015

When it's on your wrist in daylight you can 99% of the time not read when time it actually is

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 5, 2015

I looked at this one recently at the boutique. This is one of the few LE you will still actually see in the boutiques, so that may tell you something.

No feeling of joy :)

6. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 5, 2015

I personally don't like it, but I'm just a watch loving rookie and not much a collector so I understdnd...
    My AD currently has it in stock, I can give you his info in PM if you're interested in it.

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2015

I don't think many AD's don't have it in stock. If you ask me they would have been better re-thinking that dial all together.

Frunkinator likes this.
  8. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 5, 2015

Fair enough, lol :-p

9. Stacey007 Mar 5, 2015

I'm new to this (so new I'm a Omega Virgin) looking at which one.

However for me I'm not keen, it even took me a few looks to see that it was actually branded Omega.

But I think with any watch its what you see in it, almost like a piece of art. I posted a thread about a seamaster that might be my first. Its colours and style means something to me. which probably means nothing to most people. We are all different so chances are you will get a selection of reply's.

As you already have some Omega watches this may well compliment your collection.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 5, 2015

It has design flaw.....but , oh boy, I want it........

11. travisrock Mar 5, 2015

Honestly- I didn't know this existed until I saw this thread. Now after seeing it, I totally understand why. It looks like they used a coin as a dial, and called it a day. :(

12. maxtor71 Mar 6, 2015

I just don't understand that. It's got all the markings for hours/minutes/seconds and for me at least, when I saw it in Germany, a quick glance always found those black hands. The chronograph I will give you, that's unusable but really who uses that?

Max

13. maxtor71 Mar 6, 2015

Do you know how much they want for that watch? It's on my list :).

Max

14. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

It's just not worth the cash! Remember I owned it and it was a real pain in the ass!! You would be better buying a proper piece everyone wants. I think it will be like the Moon to Mars watch... You can STILL find those in ADs now!

ctime3 likes this.
  15. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 6, 2015

I need to stop in and see him in a couple weeks, I'll find out for you.

maxtor71 likes this.
  16. MarcWinkman Mar 6, 2015

While an interesting piece, the mission emblem for the dial is certainly different, but nothing I'd ever opt for; dare I say, I find it to be slightly tacky and gimmicky. I also think that this watch misses the mark for what makes a Speedy a Speedy, the chronograph sub dials. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth (probably not a whole lot).

travisrock likes this.
  17. italy1861 Mar 6, 2015

I'd like to see it with a silver tachy bezel.... I do find the dial hard to read and the subdials unusable... I say if this watch is calling to you, go for it! Your opinion is all that matters...

18. ctpete Mar 6, 2015

It's not a design I would go for.

19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 6, 2015

I love the event it commemorates, but I don't like the dial personally. If you do, well, who are we to tell you not to. Just go in eyes open. It might be hard to unload in the future if you ever want or need to..

20. jcmartinez98 Mar 6, 2015

only b/c you asked...
    i dislike it quite strongly and am frankly surprised that the folks at Omega must have selected this from a variety of ideas, or even a variety of executions of the same idea. the cartoonish attempt at the Apollo statue is painfully childish. the watch dial ends up looking like a cross between the US postal service logo and a 3rd grader's art project about Greek mythology.

ckhaing likes this.