Forums Latest Members

Your honest opinion.... Omega owner's!

1. C Hammer Jan 30, 2014

Dear all,

I'm considering buying a OMEGA PLANET OCEAN - 45.5MM 232.30.46.21.01.002 either new or say a 1 or so old. However, reading some of the blogs and watching a youtube video, I have concerns and so reluctant at the moment to part from my hard earned money to treat myself to a special birthday present....

The concerns seem to be with Omega's customer service, improper repairing of watches and buyers having issues with the warranty not being worth the paper it's printed on. So, what's your honest opinion...
    Thanks! :unsure:

2. Shem Jan 30, 2014

Most people don't have any problems at all. You see a lot more concerns on the Internet for a couple reasons, one because watch enthusiasts tend to have higher standards than the general population (sometimes impossibly high), and second because satisfied customers don't tend to post about their experiences while unhappy ones are extremely vocal. Omega is not unique in there being concerns about customer service, improper repair, and warranty issues -- in fact, I haven't seen a single watch brand on watch forums that doesn't have posts about problems like these.

I personally have had no problems with any of my Omegas, and I very strongly believe that my friends at the local Omega Boutique will take care of any issue I have. I've never had better customer service anywhere than I have at Omega Boutique King of Prussia.

Take complaints you see on blogs, YouTube, and watch forums with a grain of salt. If you like the PO, buy it with confidence.

SpikiSpikester and C Hammer like this.
  3. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2014

There will always be the minority that will never be happy, i think this is largely because they are spending a large amount of money on a piece and they expect it to work flawlessly as it is new etc, well like all things in this world nothing is built perfect.

As Shem put it... Buy with confidence, i have not had problems with any of my watches either, be it pre owned or the ones i have bought new.

I cannot fault the AD i deal with in the UK or the great people here at the Boutique in Miami. When i dropped my Apollo 11 coin case they bent over backwards to get me one and remember we are talking a plastic case not a watch.

C Hammer likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Jan 30, 2014

You can find complaints about anything on the internet. No brand is perfect, but most luxury goods manufacturers try to make things right if & when things go south. That's what warranties are for. You should see some of the silly things we get here. Just go buy the watch you like….. unless you're trying not to spend the money.

C Hammer likes this.
  5. alam Jan 30, 2014

My two cents -- I have no experience dealing with any part of Omega's customer service but do have a couple of modern Omega watches that I bought new and directly from ADs. I have used these watches regularly for more than six years without any issues…and neither of them has had a routine service :-(

C Hammer likes this.
  6. Jon R Jan 30, 2014

If you buy from a high-street AD, you should be fine. I wouldn't be so confident at getting the same level of service from on-line retailers but cannot really comment as I never bought on-line.

C Hammer likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2014

Omega service centers do have some less than stellar reputations, depending on the specific location in question. Having said that, there is no doubt that the vast majority of watches get repaired without issues, it's just that those who are unhappy are very vocal about it as others have suggested.

I have sent watches in to the service center on behalf of my clients, and one in particular comes to mind as a bad experience - it was an X33 that was sent in for a movement swap - had to go back 3 times to get everything right. Issues ranged from dirt under the crystal, to the wrong crown being installed, to a new movement that was not in good working order. It was very frustrating.

No service center is perfect, but some are certainly better than others. One thing I do give Rolex credit for is their service center network and the work they do - on modern watches only. Vintage I would not let them touch it, but on modern watches they tend to do a very good job overall, but again do have slip ups.

I have repaired some horrendous work done by a Richemont service center, on 2 different Richemont brands, so no brand or company is immune to these issues.

Not sure what you are talking about with warranty claims, as I have never really seen many issues posted with respect to Omega denying a valid warranty claim. If that does happen, it's usually an AD who is the issue, not Omega.

Cheers, Al

C Hammer likes this.
  8. C Hammer Jan 30, 2014

Thanks all. Appreciate your words.
    As for where I'm based, I live in London, well Essex to be precise.
    I'll go for it!
    As for my other watches- I have 2 Seiko's, a Rado Jubilee, a Diesel and a Ben Sherman, lol.
    I cannot fault the Seiko's and the Rado has been fine as well, but it's my birthday in May and the Mrs will contribute a bit towards the watch, so I going to treat myself to the Omega PO with orange bezel and a new car. You only live once hey.
    Thanks again all!

watchme likes this.
  9. ctime3 Jan 30, 2014

I echo Shem's post. The King of Prussia boutique is simply awesome all around. I cannot say that about anyone else. If I had a problem or a concern they would help 100% some people had problems out of the country. I am sure if someone felt their concern was not handled they could call headquarters and they would help. I own a PO 42mm and I love it.

10. FRAME Jan 30, 2014

Can we also discuss the car?:p

Tritium likes this.
  11. randomguy Jan 30, 2014

I don't like the price I paid retail at an downtown T.O. AD, for my OMEGA Seamaster PO Titanium. BUT, I do love my PO, and glad to have it back after an initial trade.

I am finding more to love with OMEGA the longer I follow them.

Enjoy your purchase.

Cheers

JG

12. Mothra Jan 31, 2014

I bought a speedmaster new a couple of years back. After a month, i noticed the hour hand didnt point exactly at the hour marker on the hour. I decided it wasn't a big deal, and five years later, Archer has it and i know when it comes back from a due service it will line up perfectly. Some nutjobs would have gone ballistic and then its a slippery slope....

13. C Hammer Jan 31, 2014

Ok, thanks again. Randonguy,I don't know where downtown T.O is but hey....
    Mothra, point taken and appreciated- not good.
    Frame, I know my cars and know exactly what I want and spec..... having been working since the age of and now almost,I'm going to treat myself to a merc. benz drop top e class convertible.
    cheers,

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2014

If you are a Torontonian, it's the center of the universe. ;)

j/k

15. C Hammer Jan 31, 2014

ha ha ha... like Essex is god's country, hey... one day i'll get to see Canada and T.O!

16. randomguy Jan 31, 2014

T.O. refers to Toronto, but I live in Elora Village about 115 km southwest of T.O. with a population of about 4,000. Left T.O. 23 years ago to enjoy the countryside and raise a family. Most Torontonians that I grew up with were from another country to begin with, so I don't share that sentiment.

Yes, the whole of Canada is great place to travel, not just T.O.

p.s. Love travelling to London, UK to see my twin at least once a year.

Cheers.

17. FRAME Jan 31, 2014

Your taste in cars in inpeccable. Let 's hope for a sunny springtime. Enjoy!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2014

Sorry didn't mean to hit a nerve mate - all in good fun. :thumbsup: As you know for most of Canada our official sports are hockey, lacrosse, and making fun of Toronto. After all there is so much to make fun of! Just the mayors alone are enough to keep the comics going for a while - between Mel "Nooooboooody" Lastman calling in the military for a snow storm, to the current crack-smoking-drunken-stupor train wreck they have for a mayor, the city has had it's reasons for being mocked.

But overall it's a great city. Heck I even lived there for a while! But that was a while ago - I could not live there now simply because of the traffic. I do visit often - will be there again shortly actually for the auto show, a Toronto Rock game, and of course the mandatory trip to Caplansky's for a smoked meat sandwich...

Cheers, Al

C Hammer likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2014

Now THAT sounds interesting. Dead animal on some form of bread? Right up my alley!

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2014

http://www.caplanskys.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_smoked_meat

It is so much better than corned beef or pastrami. Even though it's called "Montreal smoked meat" I have had it in many places in Canada, including Montreal, and IMO Caplansky's is the best. I have mine "medium" so a decent mix of meat and enough fat. It just melts in your mouth...okay making me hungry now....

Cheers, Al