Forums Latest Members

Your first adult beverage.......

1. Flingit1200s Apr 15, 2016

I was 14 years old, on the front porch on a hot summer day with my dad. He brought me a Schlitz beer and lectured me over and over on how one or two beers is enough. If he only knew.........in high school we drank the champaign of beers (Miller High Life)........in college we drank lots of Lite beer from Miller and everything else that was cheap. Your turn...........

Spike, Mad Dog and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 15, 2016

My first adult beverage
    [​IMG]

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 15, 2016

Glad my mom saved it...

[​IMG]

demollo, chronos, x3no and 17 others like this.
  4. ulackfocus Apr 15, 2016

The neighborhood dads all had Piels, Ortlieb's, Schmidt's, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Miller of some sort. Can't remember which I tried first, but I do remember feeling VERY lucky if there was Ballantine or Heineken Dark.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 15, 2016

I miss Bert and Harry :(

6. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 15, 2016

My father used to come home from the golf course (wearing his sandals with black socks) drinking a Lite Beer on the rocks and smoking a Muriel Air Tip. He always"It tastes just like ginger ale this way."
    I tried it. It didn't taste like ginger ale. Shortly after that I discovered Coors.Fortunately, my tastes have changed.

GuiltyBoomerang and Flingit1200s like this.
  7. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 15, 2016

I migrated from Hong Kong to Australia when I was two with my sister, mum and dad. I remember when I was four (or five) we had a barbecue in the backyard with some of dad's mates, and they beckoned me over. "Here, try this boy!" one of them said, and they gave me a can of Fosters. I had a sip and started coughing, at which point they all (including my dad) had a laugh.

Have touched all sorts of beers but not Fosters since then.
    (I can attest to this, since at a disco I went to a couple of months back, people got pretty campy (everyone was in their 20s) when all the drinks ran out and only Fosters was left...)

Flingit1200s likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Apr 15, 2016

If I correctly remember what our Aussie contingent has said, Fosters is bottom of the barrel to them and only tourists drink it.

I can tell you worse beer though: Genesee Cream Ale and Tuborg Gold.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 15, 2016

The "forbidden fruit" of my youth was Coors. In those days, you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi. Go watch Smokey and the Bandit. That was the theme of the whole movie, smuggling Coors from Texas to Georgia.

Our next-door neighbors had a source and would invite us over when they got a shipment.

I was 14, maybe 15. Can't remember. It was a long time ago.

Tasting Coors now, I wonder what all the fuss was about.
    gatorcpa

RawArcher, Nitzbar and Flingit1200s like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 15, 2016

Like Budweiser or PBR to us.

The Fosters we get isn't made in Australia anyway. I think they use Tampa swamp water.
    gatorcpa

ulackfocus and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 15, 2016

I was never much of a drinker, but do have very fond memories of semi-regular golf outings with a couple of friends in the NW Chicago suburbs, and ritually stopping at a particular tavern afterwards for a sandwich and beer. I'm a tuna salad guy, and somehow stumbled across a sensational compliment: DAB (Dortmunder Actien Brauerei). There was a certain synergy with that beer and a tuna salad sandwich that I've never been able to subsequently reproduce.

Flingit1200s likes this.
  12. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 15, 2016

When I was 10 and my parents were having an "adults party", my father came into my bedroom and gave me tastes of martini and manhattan. A shrewd move, since I found both of them vile and never developed much of a taste for mixed drinks. A graduate school professor clued me in to Pilsner Urquell, a favorite for decades, though I finally found something better. (No affiliation, no representations or warranties, drink responsibly, blah, blah, blah.)
    Prima-Pils-Main.png

Flingit1200s likes this.
  13. pwojnar Apr 15, 2016

13 years old told my dad I was sleeping at my frieds house and met up some kids from school. Got a couple bottles of Mad Dog 20/20, threw up all night. I can't even smell that stuff anymore without getting sick. Now I just stick to Kona Brewing Company's local selection.

Flingit1200s likes this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 15, 2016

No real specific memory for me. When we were ~5 year old kids our dad always let us take a sip of his wine at dinner. Even let us occasionally have half a glass when 12/ 13 years old. Also sipped his Miller Lites on the weekend.

I was in college before I learned there were actually some beers that tasted good. But of course that is not what we drank because it cost a heck of a lot more than the "$1.00 For All You Can Drink" parties we normaly attended.

Nitzbar and Flingit1200s like this.
  15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 15, 2016

Showed this to my wife, a kindergarten teacher, she's still laughing!

She's going to post it in the staff room monday.

Flingit1200s and Tony C. like this.
  16. Huus Apr 15, 2016

As I partly grew up in the Netherlands my teenage years were filled with Amstel, Heineken and Grolsch. Legal drinking age was 16 at the time but all of us boys were into it at 14 and never a problem with the law. Moved to Australia in my mid twenties and after many years of Vic Bitter (or VB, the very best) I changed to light beers with Hahn light the favourite.
    The old VB commercials "for a hard earned thirst" are absolute classics.
    "I can feel a XXXX coming on" is another great on.
    Of course there's many more.

Flingit1200s likes this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 15, 2016

Joined the Navy at 18 years old. On base drinking age was 18. Every payday stocked up on 12 packs of strohs for $2.63. Payday was the 1st and 15th. Back in the day it was $263 each pay day. Had room and board covered, so twice a month pushed the grocery cart full of beer to the barracks. 30+ years ago. :)

gostang9 and Flingit1200s like this.
  18. MyVintageOmega Apr 15, 2016

Lemon gin at a high school dance. My date was so hammered the Principal took her to his office and called her parents and kicked me out. Fact is....
    she got sick all over his desk. Infamous

ulackfocus, Huus and Flingit1200s like this.
  19. meganfox17 Apr 15, 2016

Hi @Flingit1200s

Your id name sounds like Ringgit in the Malaysia currency [emoji38]

I like this thread ! I'll tell you why!
    My Dad filed a.Missing Person's Police report on Boxing Day when i was 3 yrs old in the 80s

I had gone missing since Christmas evening & an extensive search around my Australian neighbourhood fail to locate me . Everybody feared the worst - I was either Kidnapped , Dead or Drowned ( I lived near the seaside....)

Then one of my Aussie neighbours ask my dad for a cold Beer because he was i guess.. thirsty & exhausted looking for me all over the place. My dad told him the Tiger Slab wasn't chilled ( A slab is a carton or crate of 24 tinnies of beer) but he kept in under the bed in his bedroom. Anyway dad went up the stairs walked to his bedroom then bent down to pull the slab out from underneath the Bed......& ...guess who was there ?

Dad screamed from the top of his lungs & everybody ran upstairs including my Aussie neighbours. Everyone just stood staring at me ...bewildered !
    There i was ....sleeping soundly under the bed.. The wrapping plastic of slab was torn & 2 empty cans of Tiger beer were lying beside me.. i apparently had pulled off the lid & drank 2 full cans of Tiger Beer !!![​IMG]
    I can't remember what happen later only that that i never saw that slab ever again. ! My Aussie friends would tease me bout that story long after that episode....Yeah i was the butt of jokes but i'm glad it happened....it's a nice childhood memory !

20. jimdgreat1 Apr 15, 2016

My first?

I'm having trouble remembering my last, last night.