Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Aug 17, 2013

The seller does not seem to have any info for this blackface Omega and it is very unfamiliar to me. The case is 18k gold, but the hall mark is on the outside of the back, unusually, in continental style (18k 0.750). The inside of the back has no markings whatsoever and there is no case reference. The movement is a cal 351 with a 13,161,xxx s/n which should date it to 1952 -53. The dial is unusual, with what appears to be a gold minute track and gold numbers but not dauphine hands as I would expect. Does anyone have similar examples, or is this some sort of Franken or bitsa?

This is the seller's photograph -

Blackface Omega-1.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

John

2. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2013

First, it's a redial. You can tell by the separation of SWISS MADE. Can you show a picture of the hallmarks you mention on the outside? If there are no markings on the inside, it's not a Swiss case or even a sanctioned UK or US case - probably a locally made case that the dial and movement were installed into.

3. John R Smith Aug 17, 2013

Here you go, once again the seller's photograph. There are no markings at all on the inside of the case back.

Blackface Omega-2.jpg

It's quite a pretty watch, nonetheless.

4. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2013

No denying it's a good looking watch. That's probably a South American non-sanctioned case.

5. John R Smith Aug 17, 2013

The watch is in the UK, but a South American case makes sense, although there is no provenance to confirm it.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 17, 2013

If there is no Omega logo inside the case, then we have to assume that the case was generic, even if it's solid gold.

I've seen a very few Argentine made cases with the Omega license mark inside.

[​IMG]

Most watches don't have this.
    gatorcpa