Forums Latest Members
  1. danjperry Apr 10, 2013

Dear all,
    I'd be *very* grateful for your feedback on my much-loved vintage Seamaster.
    In particular, I would like advice about:

1) What you think about the originality of the dial (I presume it's original because of the slight discolouration at 6).
    2) What you think about the finish of the case (has it been overworked, what would the original finish have been, can I get it refinished if need be?). The edges don't seem as crisp as other early Seamasters I've seen, and the case back has a slight shallow horizontal indentation that you can see in the backview photo (is it an inscription that has been polished out to re-sell?).
    3) What you think about the condition of the movement (I haven't opened it in 7 years till now!) - and also which year/caliber movement it is (351 or 354).
    4) What you think about the price - £320.

These are the details from omegawatches.com:
    Reference: CK 2577

International collection: 1949

Movement:
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 351 / 354
    Cal. 351
    Created in 1949, 17 jewels
    Cal. 354
    Created in 1952, 17 jewels
    Both with central sweep-second hand and some of them with chronometer cert

Case: Stainless steel
    Case back: Screw-in
    Dial: With luminous (radium) hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.
    Crystal: Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet: Leather
    Water resistance: 30 meters

I bought this 7 years ago from a reputable antique jewellers as a poor undergrad student (for £320 - three months wages from my part-time job!) - so it's quite important to me, and has been on my wrist for all my big days since.
    But I am a little OCD about things, and would really like to know how original it all is (and whether I got a fair deal for my money!).

Dan

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2013

I'm afraid that's a refinished dial. Might be an older one, but it doesn't look correct.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 10, 2013

The dial is a refinished dial and the case is at least for me overpolished. The movement is in average condition at least cosmetically. I am afraid for this example the price you paid was too high - today I would expect this watch to go for about $250-300 at auction.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2013

The case polishing in this instance might best be described as refinishing, the case has been reworked to remove dents and re-contour the the edges. The finish was probably smooth shinny originally, not stain, especially the bezel. Having heard out assessments, I would not worry too much over it at this point. It is a fine wearing watch and it now has built up a heritage and memories with you. Enjoy it.

5. danjperry Apr 10, 2013

Oh dear...it's not looking good...! Although I started thinking just after I bought it that the case was far too soft/worn around the edges.

I'm disappointed to hear it's a redial though. Any ideas on what cal. movement it might be (if it's possible at all to tell from my photos?).

It's given me 7 years of occasional outings and a score of compliments from interested women at least...

I might consider selling this on and try and get my hands on a more original example - really love the Seamaster with a waffle dial that is being offered by Dablitzer on the sales section.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 10, 2013

Caliber 351

7. danjperry Apr 10, 2013

Thanks cicindela thats helpful, the more Seamasters I've seen the past few years the more I felt the case was way too satin.
    It has given me a lot of enjoyable use, although I've become very OCD lately, and knowing it's not as original as I would like is probably going to be the catalyst to sell and get myself a new treat.

I'm all about the new treats.

8. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2013

I'm going to mark this post with my special tag word so I can find it later.

Ecclesiastical.

There, done. Next time a newer member says "I'm not a collector so who cares if it's redialed?" I can respond by linking to this thread instead of explaining to them that they very well might become one and have twinges of regret later.

This is not a poor reflection on you so please don't be upset. It's going to serve as an example for future generations of WIS, showing them that even years later a non-original watch can start to bug the owner. Thanks Dan! :thumbsup:

Between the CDO and the above penchant for new treats you'll fit right in here. ;) :p

danjperry and SpikiSpikester like this.
  9. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 10, 2013

These 35x caliber are bulletproof and keep great time

10. danjperry Apr 12, 2013

I'm just a very pragmatic person! I'd like to focus my collecting efforts on just accruing a few really nice/all original vintage pieces that I can wear and enjoy.
    Don't get me wrong - if this had been passed on by a family member I'd treasure it even if it was falling apart...but since it's not, I might consider a well-deserved upgrade...
    :whistling: