Forums Latest Members

You won't find a more complete package – especially from the early '40s

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 20, 2014

Waynepjr and Adam2941 like this.
  2. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

But of course it's from Italy! That's where everything introvabile goes.

The watch checks out in my eyes. Anyone else want to comment on originality?

3. ulackfocus Mar 20, 2014

Certainly correct. It's a great addition to a military watch collection for sure!

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 20, 2014

Fred/Ludi where are you?

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 20, 2014

wow. out of everything included in the sale the polishing cloth is most interesting to me. sorry if that seems strange hahahaha.

remarkable that it survived.

Waynepjr likes this.
  6. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2014

Are you kidding?--that polishing cloth is what sealed the deal for the original purchaser. It was just laying there on the counter, so why not?!

7. Adam2941 Mar 21, 2014

For me it raises a strange issue. That watch is so amazing that if I were ever to buy it, I would keep it as a "queen" and never wear it. It's a museum piece. Sort of like NOS. What do you do with NOS? The moment you strap it on, it's not NOS anymore! So that watch causes me to question my collecting criteria, which include that I have to want to wear it.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 21, 2014

Not a strange issue at all. While I am very condition conscious, I arrived at the conclusion years ago that I prefer not to acquire watches that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing. That's not to say that I don't have some valuable watches that I only wear on occasion, and in select environments, but I have no interest in owning an expensive NOS watch that could lose significant value with a nick to the case.

9. woodwkr2 Mar 22, 2014

Plus one to that! Nothing dumber than "collectors" who spend mega bucks buying a nice Patek, for example, only to leave it in the plastic wrap in a safe. If you want an investment, buy stocks/bonds/real estate or start a business. If you buy a watch, WEAR IT. That's what it's for.

10. stefan Mar 23, 2014

I have to comment on this watch, it's a nice watch but not a military watch as far as I can see, there is no D H military markings stamped on the case back and lugs which is very important for serious ww2 watch collectors, dial doesn't look correct for Longines 1942 military and the hands are incorrect, should be lumed hands, it's supposed to be an army watch :)

Would say it's a rip off price for none military watch.

See pictures how Longines military 1942 should look like, Deutsche Heere "german army" with matching 4 digit number stamped on both case back and lugs

024.JPG

Check this original tritium dial and hands out :) , sub dial should look like this :) , at last big crown.

025.JPG

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 23, 2014

I agree with Stefan that it is not technically a military watch, but in my view the seller is representing it honestly as a "tipo militare", or military style watch. Also, I see nothing on the watch that is likely to be other than original.

Valuation is a different question, but the main reason that I chose to link it originally is because of how rare it is to find such a complete package, and that makes it very difficult to value.

Cheers,

Tony C.

12. Ludi Mar 25, 2014

I concur with above... certainly no military DNA... but what a lovely full set ::love:: ... maybe a little bit much priced out though .... but who can tell what such a time capsule is really worth ?

13. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 25, 2014

Amen and +1! Had a few NOS pieces, and could not make myself wear them. Nice condition pre-loved ones are what I aim for these days. My NOS days are over:whistling: . It is a personal preference for sure.......