Forums Latest Members

You thought Omega was bad about raising their prices

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 24, 2018

So I wanted to buy myself and my boys a watch, something we would all pick out together on our vacation. And we did a little browsing at some of the shops to get a feel what each of us would like. Years back I had looked at Oris and I liked what they offered and I recall their pricing to be in the range of $500-750 for a watch. Also looked at RADO and if I recall their pricing was in the same range, maybe a bit more, I just can't recall for sure. This is 6 or so years ago. In any case, I was shocked on how high all the prices seemed for these entry level watch brands.

Today I get an email from RADO and I think that watch looks pretty nice, with the gold highlights it would work for my oldest son. So I go to the order page. I am stumped. $5k?!?! Wow!

upload_2018-9-24_19-39-57.png

upload_2018-9-24_19-32-33.png

2. Bushido Sep 25, 2018

But it's made of "high tech ceramic" and comes with a watch roll...

I am confused by the name vs description. It's called a "Hyperchrome Bronze" but in the description it says "gold accents?"

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 25, 2018

Isn't it time to propagate the Invicta gene??? ::stirthepot::::bleh::

Fritz likes this.
  4. Professor Sep 25, 2018

Looks a lot like a cheap Timex Quartz I got recently.

Matt P and staristheanswer like this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 25, 2018

Jomashop has it for $1200 probably

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 25, 2018

People want the Swiss watch as a status symbol, since Omega and Rolex are getting a bit out of reach for the average guy they look to the "lesser" brands. since the market will bear it, they'll charge more too.

Once Oris and Alpina get to be too much Joe Average will be forced a little further down the totem, through perhaps Hamilton down to Bulova...

7. kilofinal Sep 25, 2018

wow...it's a limited edition....that must explain the 5K price tag :D

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 25, 2018

Lol, with the out of control prices on Swiss watches, lnvicta is looking like a good option.

The oldest son likes blingy watches, so that is a plus on the Invicta side. The younger son would prefer a calculator watch, as long as it can store functions like his large calculator.

Radiozoop and eugeneandresson like this.
  9. kkt Sep 25, 2018

Are you in the United States? The last few years have not been kind to the value of the dollar compared to the Swiss Frank.

10. qboa Sep 25, 2018

strong inflation ...

11. Radiozoop Sep 27, 2018

Invicta.. sad! You gotta be a good parent and teach them the ins and outs of watch collecting. I'm sure there are some blindly Swiss watches that can be had for considerably less than MSRP on the second hand market (I'm looking at you, Hublot ;)).