Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic Apr 1, 2016

Hi guys (and Megan ;)),

Would anyone care to chime in on a value question? I'm a long-time Seamaster collector who's decided it's time to jump on the Speedy bandwagon. I'm not willing to part with any of my vintage Seamasters, which constrains my budget somewhat. I've decided I'm not going to go for pre-moon, transitional, or otherwise "interesting" Speedies (...because of price, not necessarily preference). But neither do I want a new or very recent (1861) one. So I've more or less decided to start with an "ordinary" 145.0022 (perhaps a stepped 145.022-74 if I encounter a nice one).

On another forum I was offered the one below. The seller indicates its from 1981 (possibly based on the serial, I think, as there are no papers). According to the seller, he bought it from the first owner who had it serviced by Omega in 2010 (only the service pouch is there to "prove" it). It's on NATO in the pic, but a 1171/633 bracelet is present (no idea yet if original or replacement).

I'm inclined to trust the seller: he's a local and frequent visitor to the other website. There might be a chance for me to check it out in person.

What I'm wondering about as a Speedy n00b:
    - it looks exceedingly clean for a 35 year old watch. Yet afaik the dial seems original (service dials don't have the T's, right?)
    - what do you think about the case? Sharp enough? Polished? Refinished?
    - and, of course, value. This reference is outside the scope of Speedmaster101.com (like I said...I'm a n00b) so I'm finding it difficult to come to a good offer. I'm not looking for the deal of the year here, but I just don't want to overpay.

I know it's difficult on this picture alone, but right now it's all I have. Let's assume for now that the movement is ok and doesn't require service (this is what the seller indicates, anyway).

Thanks!

image.jpeg
    Edited Apr 1, 2016
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 1, 2016

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 1, 2016

A service dial can have T's , nothing sticks out as being wrong for circa 81. Great bezel... That is the next hard to find in great condition bezel.

It all looks alright from that pic, but hard to judge if it has been relumed or not. Basically it should be identical to a -78

dialstatic likes this.
  4. lando Apr 1, 2016

As it is not covered by the price chart, I would go for the "completed-eBay-items" method, as an indicator on price.

At least the service question is a clear case to me: 2010 is more than five years, so the next service should be done.

dialstatic likes this.
  5. dialstatic Apr 1, 2016

Thanks, just did this. Checking completer auctions yielded an average of about €2300 (or $2600), excluding a completely untouched original with box & papers ($3500).

Compared to the linked Table, that's more that a 145.022-7X in running condition, ($2000) and less than one in good condition ($3100).

Does that sound fair to you Speedy experts?

6. tyrantlizardrex Apr 1, 2016

Bear in mind that the ones on the table are without bracelet (head only)... I think if you could get this for €2000 you'd be winning.... and up to €2500 paying market rate.

Lovely looking watch... would be a birth year for me :)

dialstatic likes this.
  7. Davidt Apr 1, 2016

I'd put 80's Speedmasters at slightly less than the equivalent -78, on Speedmaster 101.

This one looks largely original although it's hard to be sure on the case from just one picture.

I'd also add that some late 80's/early 90's Speedmasters seem to have great yellow lume and are exceptional value at the minute.

dialstatic likes this.
  8. Badwolf Apr 1, 2016

Looks like a nice example to me.

I'm not sure if it should be on a 1171, possibly is correct. It's a nice unfussy bracelet.

dialstatic likes this.
  9. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs Apr 1, 2016

Looks nice to me,although the lume looks very green so possibly re done?if you get to see it in person i suggest you test the lume?

dialstatic likes this.
  10. sky21 Apr 1, 2016

A very clean example from the one photo at least. Definitely see it in person if you can. Also, get more photos of the movement and the bracelet and make sure the bracelet has enough links to fit your wrist. The price you quoted above would be a good starting point to negotiate from if everything is correct and the bracelet is in good shape. The 1171/633 bracelet should be correct for an '81 model.

dialstatic likes this.
  11. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

145.022-74s don't have stepped dials, you can find those on the 145.022-71 latest. Their values are correspondingly higher, though.

-7x Speedmasters, at least the earlier ones (-71, -74, and earlier -76) have gone up in price as well since the last Speedmaster101 price chart update, but good examples of each (save perhaps the -71) can be found under US$ 3000 - for now.

'80s Speedmasters like the one you posted can be found in the $2500 range for a very good example, down to just below $2000 or so for a not-so-great, head-only piece. The one you posted looks pretty good and has a fantastic bezel as has been previously noted, and the dial looks like it could be pretty good - my only big question would be about the hands as they look like they could be luminova service replacements. Ask the seller for high-resolution photos of the dial and hands, and get photos of the sides of the case while you're at it to make sure it's not been over-polished.

GB_NY, tyrantlizardrex and dialstatic like this.
  12. dialstatic Apr 2, 2016

First of all, thanks to everyone for helping out! This has been very educational for me. I've just received some more pictures from the seller that I'd like to share with you, as they may resolve some of the questions asked. I'll articulate what I *think* they mean, and then you may correct me :whipped:

Pic 1: lume shot. To me, it looks as though the strength is similar. This could indicate that the hands are indeed roughly the same age as the dial? There was a comment above that service dials may also have T swiss made T, but was this still the case in 2010, when this was last serviced?

Pic 2: Caseback. Chrono pushers & crown look ok to me; a few marks from opening the case back, paint maybe 30% gone from letters. Nothing weird, right?

Pic 3: Caseback inside. So it's indeed a 145.022 and not a 145.022-78 as I had secretly hoped. C.R.S. is a correct case manufacturer, no?

Pics 4, 5, 6: Case doesn't look too polished to my eye. There's a scratch on the 1 o'clock lug and maybe some other blemish there. Does anyone else see anything of note?

Pics 7, 8: Bracelet seems to be a 1171/1, which afaik was offered from the 1980s to the present as a replacement for the earlier 1171, right? Is there a chance that this watch was sold with this bracelet, or does the /1 addition mean that it is aftermarket for sure? In any case, sufficient links are available and stretch seems pretty good (which I think reinforces the idea that it might be a more recent replacement).

Does any of this significantly impact the above value assessments? Again, many thanks for helping out, and if you guys have any comments on the pictures or corrections to may layman's observations, I'd be much obliged!

image-9.jpeg
    image-10.jpeg
    3. image-11.jpeg

image-13.jpeg

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

image-12.jpeg

IMG_4081.JPG

Edited Apr 2, 2016
  13. abrod520 Apr 2, 2016

Looks OK to me, the lume is maybe a bit even but overall seems like a good enough example. Did you catch the serial number?

I'd say on a full-length 1171/1 this would probably be around a $2500 example, tops - I wouldn't want to pay more than $2300 though since the bracelet is a replacement I believe.

dialstatic likes this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 2, 2016

i see an incredibly nice 35 year old watch - if you like it def worth the 2-2.5k ... AND i am fairly sure you will experience quite some uplift ($) from a trickle down effect of the pre-moons which in 2-3 years no normal person will be able to pay anyway (think 5513 to 1680, etc)
    good luck w/ your decision, Al

dialstatic likes this.
  15. sky21 Apr 2, 2016

I think the price is justified for what you're getting, sure it could be up or down a couple hundred, but that is in the ballpark. If you can negotiate it down, then by all means go for it. But the real question is, does it speak to you as is? You have to wear it and look at it every day as I assume you're buying it to keep and wear, not to try to flip it for something else. If you can answer yes to that question, and you trust the seller, then I say go for it and enjoy it.

dialstatic likes this.
  16. dialstatic Apr 3, 2016

Again, thanks a lot. I'll take the above into consideration for my offer.

I think @sky21 hit the nail on the head. Ultimately, it should be about whether or not I like it. And I do. I find more patinated examples fascinating and beautiful (especially the really old dauphine hand models), but I have to be realistic. I'm not willing to part with my PloProf or collection of 176.007s in search of this. I'm pretty sure I'll remain a Seamaster guy at heart, but really want at least one nice Speedy Pro (it's certainly more wearable than most of my collection) and I don't want it to be new. I think this is a lovely looking watch and I would wear it with pride.

Edited Apr 3, 2016
  17. ibis888 Apr 3, 2016

I like the advice to only buy what you would personally be proud to wear.

Ex. If you prefer yellowish lume over the greenish/yellow lume that this watch seems to have (which can be correct), wait for an example with the lume patina that you would want to look down on your wrist and see.. Even if it means passing up on a good deal.

tyrantlizardrex and dialstatic like this.