Forums Latest Members
  1. Zack Aug 3, 2016

Hello everyone
    Been lurking for a while and this seems like a really nice and serious forum!
    I own a couple of geneves early 70s, one of them like brand new, cal 613 never worn at all.
    Had it serviced a while ago and it only needed the standard cleaning and oiling, really like it though its not worth much on the market. Now im looking for a 50s watch and found this ref. 2792 with a patina on the dial. Need some input about this piece. What i dont want is redialls that look like new from a distance, from this era its either suspected redial or patina that is the options mostly, right? Would about €400 be a fair price? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 3, 2016

I have been wrong before as my wife will assure you.
    But I am fairly sure this is a redial and I don't think the hands are original (or even correct) too

3. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 3, 2016

I'm on my cell now, but this looks like the typical dealer prepped "rouge on a pig" watch.

I think you will find you can do better...

4. dwndler Aug 3, 2016

I am sorry for shouting, but. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS WATCH :mad:
    @shaun hk : Please point out where and how have you spotted a re-dail? And how the f..k are Dauphine hands not typical with ref. 2792? Try looking for some pictures, before saying such a thing.
    @al128: What's prepped on this watch? Two tone patinated dial or what?
    This ref. is seen both with and without Seamaster on the dial and I can not spot something wrong. It has correct movement, dial and hands are also typical for the 50's. And I am not saying that because I have googled it not am I a seller of the watch. I have had 3-400 vintage Omegas through my hands so I am speaking with some grade fo experience. The crown has no Omega sign so it is not original but that's not a deal breaker. I am guessing that you are in Europe and I would find the price of €400 a fair one if the watch is serviced recently.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet...ache=1&cHash=e9704579abc5dc6ebfebbbd8a1d727fe

5. tdn-dk Aug 3, 2016

I dont see any problems, dial and hands are correct imho.

6. Willem023 Aug 3, 2016

Crown is wrong.
    And in general: the minute and hour hands 'hardly ever' reach this much over the minute-markers; they usually only 'touch' the minute-markers' ring. This might be a uncommon case then.
    Case look rather polished, but...
    Quality of the pics is not good enough to really assess the watch correctly.
    And apologizing for something and then still execute the act, is silly behavior.

Edit-
    OP asks for advice, which is geven in a -we might assume- decent and honorable way. No need to shout, I'd say.
    Edit 2
    I corrected my reply, based on the O-web-based pic.

My2Ksh

Edited Aug 3, 2016
  7. tdn-dk Aug 3, 2016

Wrong, a lot of the the 1950's 30 mm. hands reach over the minute-markers. For some models that is correct, ex. Constellations, but there is a lot of exceptions.

dwndler likes this.
  8. Willem023 Aug 3, 2016

Still no need to shout.

9. dwndler Aug 3, 2016

Crown is not original and I said that. But it does not make it a redail or "rouge on a pig".
    Please compare picture from the vintage Omega database and picture no. 3 in first post. The length of the hands (all of them) is identical.

10. Willem023 Aug 3, 2016

Still no need to shout

11. dwndler Aug 3, 2016

I had to shout because every now and than so called experts "shoot down" a vintage watch not even writing why. There is no trace of the redial, the watch having not original crown does not make it a fake, Franken, a "rouge on a pig" or anything else and also your comment regarding the length of the hands is misleading as the they are correct.
    Usually I follow very simple rule, if I have not much to say about the subject I keep my mouth closed (or a keyboard silent). Also when I see that someone is shooting down a normal watch I have to shout.
    I had to emphasize that I am not a purist and very few people writing here for the first time are.

mac_omega, OMGRLX and tdn-dk like this.
  12. Zack Aug 3, 2016

Ok, thank you all. The case is 14k gold on steel so can it be all that polished?
    Assuming the dial is original, what is your opinion on a patina like that?
    Personally I find it sort of charming, but on the other hand maybe it looks different irl.

13. Willem023 Aug 3, 2016

@dwndler
    I have a slightly different take on this.
    In my opinion, the members of OF give their opinion or advice, in a -we might assume- decent and honorable way. First one to reply even stated that he even might be wrong. Which might be the case.
    But, they did not call themselves 'experts' nor is there the implication that they are. They are just nice chaps, willing to support to their best, someone with a question.
    No-one said it was a fake, nor a Franken.
    Seems that you use this thread to vent some more broadly-experienced feelings on a watch you seem to know and love. Which is fine.

Everyone is wrong sometimes (I know I am frequently), but shouting is a silly thing to do. Even if you 'have to' do that.
    There is so much more to say about this subject, but I will follow the stated rule.

W out.

14. dwndler Aug 3, 2016

@Willem023
    This could be a partial answer to you or a advice to @shaun hk : If you are i doubt, you are not in doubt. So if you know that you are not sure, keep it for your self. Or if you are pointing at some errors and flows please explain.
    I have no problem with people pointing out details on the watches and commenting them but with further explanation. "I think this particular dial is redone because this and that" But just stating its redone or hands are not correct without showing some examples with "correct" hands and original dial for saying for example hands should be whatever size and shape is pointless talk (in my humble opinion).
    I am not using this thread to vent some feelings about the watch. but about people that have no clue about the subject but want to write few lines just to write something.
    As a newbie I would be confused if two first comments are "no way bro, the watch is wrong and bad and so on" and second two comments are "there is nothing wrong with the watch". This kind of behavior you can find way too often on almost all watch related forums.

mac_omega and OMGRLX like this.
  15. dwndler Aug 3, 2016

@Zack
    If you are looking for a watch from the 50's why having a fear of patina or wanting your watch to be shiny again?
    And if you find the patina charming why should our opinion matter?After all we all have a different opinion.

16. Zack Aug 3, 2016

Might not matter the world but just interested in what other (maybe more experienced) omega-people think about it.
    Like I said, the shiny ones are probably potential redials that is not easy to spot for a non-expert.
    The worst scenario would be a fake-patinated redial :)

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 3, 2016

This is one of those unusual exceptions. Hands look correct to me for this case:

Picture from Omega Vintage Database:
    [​IMG]

You can see another example here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?143105-Omega-Seamaster-1954-(-)

The crown is not correct and is out of proportion. Maybe a correct one can be found.

That is not exactly correct either. The crown is wrong, as previously stated. While not a major issue, it is an issue.

As usual, the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. With this watch, it's all about the price. While it maybe a bargain at $200, the same watch would be way overpriced at $500, IMO.

Can't we all just get along?
    gatorcpa

efauser and NT931 like this.
  18. novina Aug 3, 2016

As to this question, it is what is normally called gold capped. Thick layer of gold formed over the stainless steel case. It can chip or peel. Over polishing would take a lot more than if plated, but I assume if someone wanted to , you could get through the gold cap.. I have a couple of gold capped watches and while with regular care it will always look good, but someone trying to open one can gouge or even push the cap away from the base metal. Don't see that happening here.

Watch looks good to the eye and it does have a crosshair dial. Just make sure you know the diameter of the watch. As some older Omegas do run a bit small. As I have rather large wrists, my 2828 looks real small of my wrist, so be aware.

Zack likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2016

One of mine in stainless SpeedyProClubqqq-1.jpg

OMGRLX, Syrte, Zack and 1 other person like this.
  20. Zack Aug 3, 2016

Thank you for info. Didnt know that capped is thicker than plated, so its probably polished, not that crisp edges.
    The seller says it is 36mm excluding the (oversized?) crown, if thats correct its ok on my wrist, Im a bit old-school about size, just cant get along with the modern giants - uncomfortable and bumps into things :) if people think its a ladys I dont care.