Forums Latest Members

Yet another newbie who needs an assesment of a vintage Omega before purchase

1. rbf1138 Aug 1, 2013

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 1, 2013

Good original watch, I like the linen dial. But as you mentioned the price a little bit high. USD 350-400 would be more appropriate. Why dont you ask him if he could lower the price?
    Generally cleaner dial fetch more than ones with patina......with caveat it is original dial NOT refinished/ redialed. If it is refinished, most members in here will not buy it at any price except for the parts.

3. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2013

First, patina doesn't make a watch more valuable, but some collectors like it.

Second, that shape S in Seamaster stopped in 1960 or 1961 as far as I know. While these front loading cases came out around 1960 and the 55x series was introduced in 1959 (wait for confirmation because I'm not near my reference material), the original ad says it's a 1962 manufacture date. I would want to see the movement and serial number as well as the inside of the caseback or at least have a 2 or 3 week right of return to verify it isn't a franken. Overall that price isn't terrible but I'd think you could negotiate a little lower.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 1, 2013

Another thing.... this watch is a front loader i.e it does not have caseback. You must open it from front by removing the crystal. It is less desirable in general and would knock some more $.

5. rbf1138 Aug 1, 2013

Wow, as someone with little to no knowledge of Omega's and brand new to the forum, you guys couldn't have been quicker or more helpful! I think I'll hold off and spend some time around here before pulling the trigger on a vintage piece. I'm really looking for something similar to this as a casual/dress watch. A black dial would be even better, but it seems that those are more rare or they're pricier just based on a quick look around ebay. Thanks so much!

citizenrich and Privateday7 like this.
  6. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 1, 2013

The seller only has 3 posts on that forum. Do your homework and get references from him. You should ask for a pic of the watch sitting on todays news paper or something.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. rbf1138 Aug 1, 2013

I appreciate that advice. I certainly was going to do my homework, and I would have asked for plenty of references. I think I'm going to pass on it anyway. In the meantime, might as well ask about this one that was just put up also:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/omega-constellation-c-shape-751-$550-896484.html

Don't love it, but just curious to hear it assessed by you guys, as far as condition vs. price of something like that.

8. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2013

Another candidate for Understatement of the Year.

9. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2013

Not bad at the price but I'd want better pictures because the ones shown are too poor to make a good assessment. He takes offers too. The case has been refinished (brushed & polished) but overall it's not a bad watch.

10. rbf1138 Aug 2, 2013

After a browse through the sales forum here, it's pretty clear I just need to wait it out and purchase something from here. I've already seen several amazing looking pieces well within my price range that easily surpass the stuff I've linked to in this thread. Some of the recently sold Hamiltons...salivating. Thanks again, I look forward to learning more around here!

11. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2013

You should talk with Steve ( cicindela ). He literally just mentioned yesterday that he might list a few of his vintage Hamiltons so you can snag one before it hits the market. Either your ESPN is tuned in or you have my phone bugged. :p