Forums Latest Members

Yet another identification thread: Veteran grandfather's Omega pocket watch

1. mpark Oct 9, 2018

Dear all.

My grandfather was a WW2 veteran from Scandinavia and he passed away a few years ago. (b. 1918) On the wall of his home, for as long as I can remember, hang an Omega Pocket Watch that I always loved to look at. I have always been extremely fascinated by the engineering work of watch makers, so my Grandfather also took me to the Greenwich museum in Britain, and so forth. Due to all this, he left it in his will to me.

Despite all this, I know virtually nothing about this watch. When I was little I did not think about information that would be interesting today, such as how he got it himself, when he got it, and where. I have been Googling around for days to see if I could find something, but this watch does not carry many of the features that I see online, making me either fearful that it is some Scandinavian version not very common.

I hope that you can help. I have looked at the forum guidelines and will try to answer the way you expect:

1: Post Quality Pictures

See attached.

2: What Can You Tell Us?

Besides from the above, I am not sure which of the two numbers are the serial number (there are the same number twice on the inside of the casing, and another similar, though different, on the mechanics inside). If the Omega serial number table I've seen is correct, and this indeed is the serial number, then it should be from the 1910s. I also see scribbles on the inside that, as I have learned here, suggests watch repairs. Though I cannot find any of the Omega stamps that other websites have talked about.

3: How Can We Help You?

Basically I am just interested in trivia or deeper knowledge about the watch. Is it from Scandinavia? How old is it? I just feel I should have asked a lot of more interested questions about the watch when I had the time, as I think it was a part of his personality that I now don't get to know. All info would be appreciated.

The one's I have Google, it matches mostly this I found on the Omega website: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-geneve-pocket-watch-ut-121-1740 - the font type, logo on the front, all that. But 1971 seems too late. I was born in the 80's, so in theory he could have bought it 10 years before, but I somehow doubt it. He presented it to me like an heirloom.

Edit: Just talked to my mother, who knows little too, but she told me the watch was indeed an heirloom from his father. So it has to be at least prior to 1918.

Best,
    Mpark

IMG_3871.jpeg IMG_3872.jpeg IMG_3873.jpeg IMG_3874.jpeg IMG_3876.jpeg IMG_3879.jpeg IMG_3881.jpeg

DaveK and Etp095 like this.
  2. Etp095 Oct 9, 2018

Beautiful heirloom you have, I’m sure others more versed will chime in soon.

mpark likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2018

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a well detailed question.

Your Omega dates to around 1915 or so, based on the case and movement serial numbers. The case appears to be nickel plated brass, and both items were most likely produced in Switzerland.

The enamel dial has what Omega call "Paris Style" arabic numerals, the gold hands are "Empire" style, both obviously influenced by Breguet. Unfortunately the tip of the minute hand is broken off, you may be able to find a replacement from a donor watch though.

To accurately identify the movement, we need to know the diameter in millimetres, measured as accurately as possible.

OPWM.jpg

The regulator needle is on fully retarded, which indicates to me that the watch is badly in need of a service, otherwise it looks to be in good condition for something over a hundred years old.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. mpark Oct 9, 2018

Thank you very much for this help so far. I had not noticed that the minute dial was broken until you said so. I will try and take it to a vintage clock shop and see if they can repair it.

It seems to be about 41 mm in diameters, though it looks like 40 in the picture, but I think the angle is off. In "real life" it was 41 mm:

IMG_2642.JPG

Best

5. mpark May 3, 2021

@JimInOz did you know more after seeing the diameter? Thanks.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 3, 2021

Sorry, this one fell off my radar. I'll get back to you, busy at the moment.

mpark likes this.
  7. mpark May 3, 2021

Heh, mine too, hence the late reply here. But I have gotten the watch restored and polished and it looks amazing.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 4, 2021

mpark and Vitezi like this.