Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2015

So one of friends has wanted a Speedmaster Pro for a while now, and yesterday I was able to make it happen for him.

This process started in earnest a few months ago when I began really looking for a more vintage version of a Speedmaster for myself, and the plan was to buy that and keep it, then gift my more modern watch (from the 90's) to my friend. A while later I saw a nice 861 based watch on the sales forum here, but by the time I responded to the ad, it was already spoken for. However the seller (toddle321) promised that if the sale fell through, he would let me know.

Well the sale was completed, so I thought I lost out, and posted that I was bummed in the sales thread. However the person who bought that watch is also a member here, and he obviously saw my comment in the sales thread, and Modest_Proposal PM'd me out of the blue to tell me that if he tried the Speedy out and found it wasn't for him, he would pass it on to me for what he paid for it.

And that is exactly what ended up happening, so I would like to publicly thank both of these guys for helping me out with this one. :thumbsup:

I picked away at the watch I just bought and got it serviced, and then I spruced up the one I already had by installing a new dial and set of hands - this way it would have full lume. I packed it up in the Omega box, and my wife and I headed to my friend's place about 90 minutes drive from us, as we were all heading to Toronto for lunch at my favourite deli, and then heading to the auto show. I told him a had a little gift, and then gave him the watch. He was floored, and the look on his face was priceless. It took him a few minutes to process the fact that he now owned a Speedmaster.

Later at the auto show we took this shot:

[​IMG]

And a better shot of the one I got from the two very helpful guys on this forum:

[​IMG]

Anyway, again thanks to the guys here who helped make this happen. I have to say I have been a member of many forums, but this one is special.

Cheers, Al

MrE, NT931, repoman and 37 others like this.
  2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 23, 2015

Great story and Great gift from a Great Guy!

3. Fost Feb 23, 2015

This forum is special for sure!!
    nice catch !! enjoy :)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2015

My birthday is coming up Al. Just say'in :whistling:

epl108 and JohnSteed like this.
  5. JG808 Feb 23, 2015

Nicely done!

6. timeismoney Feb 23, 2015

Indeed is a special forum! That is a great story! Thanks for sharing, Al!

7. Hijak Feb 23, 2015

This is a great story, congratulations Al! Having both sold a watch to and purchased one from Todd (toddle321), both in person, I can attest he is certainly a quality member.:thumbsup:

8. Tritium Feb 23, 2015

Really nice story and great gesture with your friend:thumbsup:

9. Geo! Feb 23, 2015

Excellent Al, I bet you both had a warm glow inside with that result. :)

10. Baco Noir Feb 23, 2015

You're a good egg Al! Well played sir, well played. :D

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 23, 2015

The Watch Gods work in mysterious ways Al, a very nice outcome.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 23, 2015

Wow, what a true friend you are. Congrats to all parties... I love this brotherly forum [emoji2]!

13. TexOmega Feb 23, 2015

It brought a tear to my eye......:whistling:;)

14. boat2dan Feb 23, 2015

Like said before, Good Things Happen To Good People!! For Both Parties!!! Congrats!!!

15. woodwkr2 Feb 23, 2015

Now that's a good friend! Bravo.

16. alam Feb 23, 2015

Al, that's a good deal! and a much better deal when you know a good and trusty watchmaker to take care of the service!!! ;)

17. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Feb 24, 2015

Great Story. There are real friends among this forum

18. jw0n Feb 24, 2015

Woah!! Good on you, buddy. Good on you! Super awesome to read that something this incredible still happens in this day and age. Two thumbs up!

19. lerxst Feb 24, 2015

Did you service the watch yourself? Or is this one of those ethical situations like when a physician won't treat his own child? :)

OmegaRookie likes this.
  20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 24, 2015

This is so awesome! I can only imagine your mate's sheer joy and disbelief. Heck, when I make a purchase and finally get to hold it I sometimes can't believe my own fortune, even when I know it's coming!
    And for it to be the most historically significant watch ever, coming from an expert in the field...instant peace of mind.
    Congrats for both of you. As it was already said, Well played sir!