Forums Latest Members
  1. Wivac Terribly special Dec 24, 2018

I thought I would put some of this down on internet trees as its been a complete roller coaster of a year, and at times this place was a source of refuge.

In the beginning, there were 2 projects, Brexit ( only mention I promise) killed one almost immediately, so, with idle hands, Project Antelope took up pace - more of that later.
    Coming into this year were my 2 accomplices, Grandpa's 267 and my first foray into new Omega ownership, entirely thanks to you lot, my Speedy 311.30.42.30.01.005, which by the way was a complete distraction to an idea I had forming around a Planet Ocean.
    2671.jpg Speedywoof.jpg

Sometime around February, Project Antelope gathered pace and a few challenges were thrown around, namely, wouldn't it be fun to find something different to wear when it comes to the delivery date. The challenge had a small budget, must be 'different' somehow and, ultimately be a complete mystery to the other player until the reveal.
    After a lot of back and forth, @Mouse_at_Large provided the perfect solution in the form of a 'challenge watch' - a little Seamaster 120M. It's a lot of watch in a little package, with a character all of its own.
    120m.jpg

Once Challenge Watch was in the bag, another idea started to make itself felt. This year was a big milestone birthday ( big four-oh duncherknow ) and what better way to celebrate than with more watches?? The pot the Speedy had come out of was originally destined for a Dark Side, or 57th Anniversary, so my thoughts turned back to a PO, ideally a 2500D. Long story short, things got a bit out of hand and after nearly a year of on/off eyeballing them and the prices, the trigger was pulled waaaay too early on my PO LM LE, the Boss put an immediate embargo on it until the appropriate date and I was left all sweaty and confused.

So to fill in the time, that's when the hunt for something microbrandish started. The Magrette turned up some time later, the other half demonstrating her absolute unabashed delight in seeing it via the medium of demanding a new kitchen immediately.
    Maggers.jpg

After an interminable wait, and a new kitchen ordered, the PO was released from its hiding place and has been an almost constant companion, especially while doing stupid things.
    POLMLE1.jpg

Coming into the later stages of the year, and shortly after my birthday hangover had subsided, things started to take a turn for the worse. Dad had become very ill, and was hospitalised. For a month I was travelling the length of the country every week to look after him. I won't lie, it was an incredibly stressful time, not only due to Dad being in Intensive care for a while, but also there is a brewery right next door to his place and I swore blind I would wait for him to get out before we went there together. Dad had an odd collection of pieces he'd picked up over the years, this Mondaine always caught my eye
    Mond1.jpg

Towards the middle of Nov Dad was showing a improvement, the Hospital was talking about discharging him. This was excellent news, the siblings could handle this side of things as Project Antelope was due for delivery and I wouldn't be about....

For those of you who have read this far, well done, you may well have guessed already, 'Mrs' Wiv and I (ante) eloped. Over a year in the planning, lots of false trails and levels of obfuscation that would impress a British PM.
    6 people knew about it, 4 of us travelled out. Challenge Watch was deployed in anger, the Magrette got properly wet and when the day came, Grandpas 267 came out in new shoes.
    267 antelope 2.jpg

A big shout out to Little Arches in Barbados, amazing boutique hotel, they made a very special day effortlessly brilliant ( PM me for details ) . Following a late night wedding breakfast the wedding party (of 4) took the reception to Oistins Fish Fry until the early hours where Mrs Wiv may now be the current record holder for the amount of attempted chat up lines per hour while wearing her wedding dress.

We woke up 2 days later in the early hours to the news Dad had died.

I felt sorriest for my younger brother who was up there with Dad at the time and had to deal with all this on his own. Lots of conversations took place, BA would fly me home immediately if needed, but was told to stay put by the family - all of whom had no idea about the wedding. Long story short, what followed was 2 weeks in St Lucia which were a challenge, keeping things controlled to enable everyone to have a holiday, and Mrs Wiv a honeymoon.
    Which brings me back to the UK, a funeral and party last week he would have loved, lots a dancing and laughter. This is his old Seiko my mum gave to him before their wedding, being prepared for the day, which i wore.
    Dad1.jpg

Which brings me up to date. I'll confess to be pretty exhausted. We've spent the weeks since back meeting all the family telling them about our good news, and consoling them about the bad. As years go, it's one I will never forget, merry Christmas and a Happy new year to all you wonderful folks, give your families and Dads a big squeeze.

POLMLE2.jpg

Edited Dec 24, 2018
    amiriqbal, ahsposo, Noddyman and 14 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 24, 2018

Great story. ... and Congrats and condolences.

Edited Dec 24, 2018
    Wivac likes this.
  3. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 24, 2018

I have no problem confessing that I shared a manly tear while reading this. My condolences and congratulations. What a year and a great story! Enjoy your holiday with your loved ones! Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
    Max

Ps: Some hell‘a fine watches you picked up along the course!

Nathan1967 and Wivac like this.
  4. Wivac Terribly special Dec 24, 2018

Thanks all, i tried to keep it as short as possible.

Not paying for a new boiler, new kitchen , wedding and honeymoon next year ...the research has already started on the next obsession.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 24, 2018

Glad to have been able to make a small contribution to your story. Commiserations and congratulations.

6. Dan S Dec 24, 2018

What a year ... the highest highs and the lowest lows. Thank you for sharing this story.