Forums Latest Members

Yeah, yeah, it's expensive, but a very cool and unusual vintage diver in fine shape...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 22, 2014

gatorcpa, seamonster and citizenrich like this.
  2. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 23, 2014

Respectable Member Tony C

I think it is relatively cheap, if condition, condition, condition is what we are actually after.

Compare that watch with this, even though it is about $2 000.00 less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310877336779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Condition-wise, they are miles apart.

Thank you.

sss.JPG
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 23, 2014

We are in complete agreement, Seamonster, and I will clarify my position. I am very comfortable "overpaying" for fine vintage watches that are in extraordinary condition. Prices do not, of course, remain static, and over time, the best of the vintage watches in every genre (including dive watches) will appreciate in value.

I am friendly with a high-end vintage watch dealer in Switzerland who, over many years, has paid premium prices for such watches. They are all now worth significantly more than he originally paid. The same is true for a good number of the best watches that I have owned.

The title of my post was meant not as a warning about the price of the Zodiac, but an effort to quickly move beyond the price and appreciate the rare condition of a very uncommon model.

Regards,

Tony C.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 23, 2014

Your complete agreement with me is respected. Perhaps, there are many in this forum, who think like us, trying to look for a needle in a haystack.

Years ago, it was easy to pick up a mint or NOS example, every so often. Today, it is a different story altogether. It is wise of your dealer friend and also you, to pay 'just anything' (budget-permitting) for something that is really in top factory-original condition. The value of such an example will nevertheless appreciate measurably, over time.

Let us enjoy this challenging and interesting passion. Hopefully, mint or NOS pieces will pop up, more often. Seeing one is enough of an enjoyment, already.

The classic beauty of vintage-watches cannot be described in words. It is heavenly, to say the least.

Thank you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 26, 2014

A friend has expressed some interest in this virtually mint condition Zodiac diver watch. However, he is also toying with the idea of trying to get a mint condition vintage Omega diver, possibly the SM 300 or SM 120 in top original condition.

Which of the two will find a ready buyer, should he decide to off-load and upgrade, in a few months' time - the Zodiac or the vintage SM diver?

Thank you.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 26, 2014

Hello Seamonster,

You have posed a good, and important question. The comparison between those models is also useful, as it illustrates an important point for collectors.

Of the three models, the Zodiac is the least common, and by a clear margin. There were far more SM 120 and 300 divers produced, and far more are in circulation at any given time. So, in that narrow sense, the Zodiac could be perceived by some collectors as being more attractive. But in the context of your question, a very different light is cast on the comparison. There are many more vintage Omega collectors than those focused on vintage Zodiac watches, and therefor the market for the former is more active and, in a sense, more liquid. So, to answer your question, it is highly likely that your friend would have an easier time selling a fine vintage SM than the Zodiac, even if they were both priced "accurately".

Regards,

Tony C.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 26, 2014

I appreciate your informed advice which is crystal clear.

To get a SM 120 or SM 300 that is factory-original and fully Swiss-assembled, just like the condition of the Zodiac, is going to be a long wait.

Taking your sound advice into account, my friend is willing to wait for an extremely clean Seamaster diver, though when one appears, its price may surely be above that of the asking price of the Zodiac.

Like us and probably some others too, he believes in paying far above market-price, for an extra-ordinary piece in top condition.

Thank you.

Thank you.