Forums Latest Members
  1. tort2 Apr 23, 2018

My first post, please be gentle. In 1969 my parents got me a Seamaster (we were living in Los Angeles and yes, at 12 years of age, I was too young for it) which I have used on and off since.

In the 70's I switched the steel band for an over sized leather band (biker motif) and then in the 80's switched back to the original steel band. The watch in all that time (from 1969) until the mid 80s did not require internal work or overhaul. Fast forward to 1988, I noticed the watch was running fast and the dials were dim. I took it to Central Watch (inside Grand Central Station) and Lawrence and his brother assured me it would be an easy fix.

When picking up the watch some days later, I noticed that it wasn't running as fast (still fast) and the dials were butchered. Instead of a light touch up, the tech used a paint roller to apply the florescent paint.

Being a stubborn person, I took it back three more times (to adjust the speed) until finally, sometime in 1989 I said "No mas!". To their credit, Central Watch gave me a credit for the botched paint job and I used it to buy a used Concord La Costa watch they had (nice watch, by the way).

My question is, regarding my Seamaster, (serial #, 27967807; SM 166.027 and CAS# 563) should I replace the crystal face (scratching) as well as have the fast time (wore it for a week and it's still fast; 25 minutes every 2 hours) adjusted or should I just put it up as is on Ebay?

Any input would be most appreciated. I am still not sure on whether to put it up for auction or keep it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMG_20180423_132454.jpg IMG_20180423_132147.jpg IMG_20180423_132038.jpg IMG_20180408_163200.jpg IMG_20180411_112043.jpg original omega overlapping swirl marks.jpg IMG_20180408_155822.jpg
  2. michael22 Apr 23, 2018

Take it to a proper watchmaker for a service.

tort2 likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 23, 2018

The dial makes me sad.

lando, Vicke and tort2 like this.
  4. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Apr 23, 2018

Really unfortunate they would do that to the dial

tort2 likes this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 23, 2018

Ouch..... keep it.

tort2 likes this.
  6. Davidt Apr 24, 2018

Good god what a horrendous job on the dial.

Well it obviously has some sentimental value but do you like it and will you wear it? If so, get it serviced and cross your fingers for an original dial to pop up (may take a while).

On the flip side, the bezel has value as they're no longer produced so you could sell as is.

tort2 likes this.
  7. tort2 Apr 24, 2018

Actually, the dial IS original. The only work I've had done to the watch, from 1969 until the mid 80's, was repairs to the band (missing links, etc). It wasn't until I brought it in to Central Watch that the inside was looked at. Further, the problem I had was when I asked Lawrence (Central Watch) to touch up the lumin paint on the dial, I thought he was going to just add a small dollop. Instead, the tech lengthened the indices (I think that's what it's called).

The hooked 'S' is original (from what I was able to find. I read somewhere that the hooked S was an early script used for Seamasters. The other item that puzzled me is the racing dial. I've found one other Seamaster online (Seamaster Cosmic) that had the racing dial but it didn't have the date/month like my Seamaster.

I'm leaning toward just putting it up on Ebay and stay with my Concord and Timex for slumming. I appreciate your and the other member's input greatly. Thanks!

8. gostang9 Apr 24, 2018

Doesn’t sound like you’re sentimental about it nor do you like it in the current state.

I say put it up on eBay and see what it goes for in an open auction. Someone can get it who will appreciate it and you get some cash to put to something else.

tort2 likes this.
  9. tort2 Apr 24, 2018

Thanks for your reply! I do appreciate the sentimental value, but the truth is I tend to buy 'dressy' watches. This Omega was great; a real workhorse, but frankly, I'm ready to part ways with it. For example, until I wore it three weeks ago for about four days, I had not worn it in about 6 or 7 years. Once again, thanks for your input.

10. Interstellar Apr 24, 2018

This is a coveted SM 120. Really sad the dial has come to this. If you look at other decent untouched examples, you'd see that the dial has also be redone. IMO, since you have had thoughts to put it in eBay, may as well follow through with it.

tort2 likes this.
  11. Davidt Apr 24, 2018

Unfortunately the dial definitely isn’t original - it has been poorly repainted. The script is wrong and clumsy. Also look at the spacing for the minute markers.

On a positive note, you would probably be able to buy a simple vintage Seamaster dress watch for the few hundred you’d get for this.

Is the bracelet original?

tort2 and cristos71 like this.
  12. tort2 Apr 24, 2018

The bracelet, as well as the dial is original. Having owned this watch since 1969, I can state that the only work done until the late 1980's was bracelet repairs. I brought it to Central Watch to adjust the speed (it was running fast) as well as retouch the florescent paint on the indices.

While researching the provenance of my watch, I came across a post from 2011 at Watchuseek (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/why-so-many-different-1950s-seamaster-dial-fonts-626758.html) where someone asked about the unusual hook 'S' script found on my Seamaster.

Additionally, a post on this forum, from November 6, 2016 (https://omegaforums.net/threads/please-help-id-this-vintage-seamaster.48223/#post-577804) discusses the unusual hook 'S' and the conclusion reached that it was not unusual for SMs of the period to still use dials with the older 'S'.

Apparently, some SM from the early to mid 60's still used this script (my watch was made in 1968). Therefore, while unusual, my dial is original. Thanks for your input!

Edited Apr 24, 2018
  13. bags1971 Apr 24, 2018

I'd keep it and get a service and i should imagine a good dial repairer like James Hyman could sort out the Lume

14. Davidt Apr 24, 2018

The dial is not original. If you weren’t aware, perhaps it was redone without your knowledge when you dropped it off to be relumed.

1. These watches only had 5 minute markers. Yours has individual minute markers but they are poorly done and uneven.
    2. The hook or coat hanger S you refer to was not contemporary to this model. Furthermore the S on yours is poorly done as it was clumsily hand written. It does not look like the hooked S to which you refer.
    3. It is missing 120 from the dial.
    4. There is no Swiss Made.
    5. The entire text is clumsily done.

Sorry for the bad news but that dial isn’t original and if you sell you should not declare it as simply relumed.

Edited Apr 24, 2018
    tort2 and Shabbaz like this.
  15. chipsotoole Apr 24, 2018

If you're into dress watches, polish the crystal up with polywatch, clean and tidy up the case a bracelet and see it on. Dial is a mess but there will be enough interest for those other than members here in this piece to fund, or partly fund something more in keeping with your taste. You might get 400-700 USD for it. ...

tort2 likes this.
  16. cristos71 Apr 24, 2018

Here's one with an original dial for comparance

20170107_204039.jpg

tort2 and Davidt like this.
  17. Edward53 Apr 24, 2018

Jeez, what a pair of cretins that worked on that dial. OP, the actual dial may be original but there is no possible doubt that the text has been repainted, and very badly at that.

tort2 and efauser like this.
  18. Shabbaz Apr 24, 2018

It's missing the 120 so how can the dial be original?

By the way, it's the 166.027 cal 563 version which is quite rare. 17 jewel made for US market. 17 jewel was for tax reasons I think...

20171130_162835.jpg
    tort2 likes this.
  19. Shabbaz Apr 24, 2018

Black date:

20171003_150211.jpg
    tort2 likes this.
  20. tort2 Apr 24, 2018

The more I research this watch, the more I certain I am that you and the other kind members of this forum may be right. Truth is, until I started looking into selling it, I really hadn't paid attention to it in about 10 yrs. I always assumed the watch had it's original parts.

however, the cold, harsh truth is that the dial is not an original SM 120. The first thing I noticed, aside from the weird hook 'S' was the racing dial. I was unable to find another SM 120 with that dial (typical I believe of Speedmasters). Unfortunately, I didn't raise enough stink back in 1989 when Central Watch ruined the lume on my watch. Perhaps they changed the dial without telling me?

Another thing in closing. Looking at my watch, I seem to recall that at one time it did have "Swiss Made" on the dial. Funny how it didn't register until this forum pointed it out.

In closing, I will put this watch up for sale on EBay with a disclaimer that the dial has been 'redailed' (if that's the correct term) and that the movement is fast as well as the obviously poor state of the crystal. I may try to polish it with some compound.

Thank you once again for your input and help!

Hnansen and michael22 like this.