Forums Latest Members

Yacht-Master II in Two-Tone

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Not really sure how to approach this one. I didn't like it in YG, I didn't mind it in WG, I may have been able to tolerate it in SS, but SS/RG two-tone is a bit much for me I think.

The combination of dark blue, light blue, white metal, rose metal, and red, I don't know. But think about it this way, imagine if it was a "green" version, and how much worse that would look ;)

YACHT-MASTER_II_05.jpg
    YACHT-MASTER_II_0520DETAIL.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

@Trev, as someone that's a designer, and owns a Macintosh to prove it, would you combine these colors and make something look good with them?

3. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 24, 2011

On the one hand, I really love the fact they're making the YM II more available. The cal. 4160 is perhaps the most innovative movement Rolex has ever made - an entirely new complication, yet with Rolex's typical ruggedness. No grand complication fragility here! However, the looks have always been divisive - in YG, there was too much going on for me, but in WG it looked great, in my opinion. Not classic Rolex, but it felt modern, different, progressive. In pink Rolesor, I think the same issue with the YG version is happening - too many colours, and it makes it look a bit busy. Will it sell? I hope so, more people deserve the chance to get their hands on the cal. 4160

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Do you remember when the Daytona's were in massive demand, what people were doing was buying 116523's (which were selling at or below MSRP) and using spare parts to replace the Two-Tone parts with SS, turning them into 116520s.

I wonder if anyone will think of trying that to make a white metal YM2 out of a TT if the price comes in low enough.

5. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 24, 2011

It was a little before my time, I only got involved with the business after Daytonamania peaked (I started work in Sept. 2007), but I had heard these stories. It may be something people will look into doing - it wont be easy, and they'd have to fashion a new endlink for the YM II's bigger lugs, but the bracelet apart from that is the same as the GMT IIc. I reckon the RRP on it will maybe be £13000 - a bi-met Daytona goes for £10000 these days, so it stands to reason that with a more complicated movement and Everose (Rolex charge a bit more for Everose over Yellow Rolesor - probably the use of platinum in it) will be a bit more. I think the main setback will be parts really, going to need to cannibalise a WG model for the dial and bezel, get hold of a GMT bracelet and manufacture an end link

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Well thats the thing, 10 years ago you could buy Rolex parts in a bag at reasonable prices out of European ADs, people would just order up the SS parts, sell the small amount of gold to offset some of the cost, and be done. The unused parts are still available and pop up brand new on VRF and others, including WG dials, but the price is so hgh they're no longer worth it.

That WG bezel would be near impossible to get a hold of.

7. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 24, 2011

Rolex, certainly in the UK, have really clamped down on parts sales. For most parts these days, they'll insist on a swap - you can get older bracelets and aluminium GMT inserts pretty easily, but for LV inserts and anything new, they're not interested

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

The Australian dealers are extremely tight, I tried to get my 93150 bracelet for my 1680 ordered through them and they refused unless the watch was sent interstate for a full service. Also they won't do spec changes like Oyster/Jubilee bracelet changes.

This sounds a bit strange but the AD there even said that Rolex Australia checks their books periodically to ensure they haven't been over-discounting or doing special favors for clients.

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Ok. I can't resist: In my opinion It's tacky, cluttered, and the design lacks direction/focus. The "YACHTMASTER-II" is just the icing on a terrible looking cake.

The engine deserves better. :thumbsup:

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

"Gotta keep an extra close eye on those Aussies. They're shifty folk... convict blood flowing in their veins."

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

You know something else this could be used for: An APNEA dive watch. The Apnea watches are ideally a visual countdown timer for watches, the Omega is not variable, but the Rolex could be, its literally just a dial and hand change, and the addition of completely waterproof pushers. IMO that'd be a really cool and more practical use for the movement. Rolex has NEVER made a diving chronograph of any form thus far either.

apnea.jpg

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

I've always liked the Apnea. Now, if only I could hold my breath long enough to need one. 14 minutes huh?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

That's why the programmable Cal. 4160 would be so useful, you could have bezel indices ranging from "Mossad Assassin" to "Canadian Wuss" and wind down the amount of underwater time accordingly =D