Forums Latest Members

X33 Skywalker and three part ownership questions.

1. sierra11b Jun 7, 2019

I'm working on possibly procuring the Skywalker (orig. version on bracelet) but my other option is one of the newer GS GMT quartz offerings (SBGN003).

I used to own the Gen2 and quite miss it, but it's getting into that semi-vintage range where servicing might not be feasible, or at least that's my assumption, which leads me to the other questions:

1)Are battery replacement/pressure tests covered during the 5yr warranty period? As the watch will no doubt need one during that time...

2) Is this a smart purchase in terms of long term ownership and serviceability? I know it's a nearly impossible question to answer, and I understand nothing lasts forever, but it would be nice to get a couple decades of use out of the watch. Cost of entry certainly isn't cheap

3) For those Skywalker owners are you still happy with your purchase?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 7, 2019

1)No
    2)Yes it’s a current movement and they use similar in at least 1 non speedmaster.
    3)Yes otherwise they wouldn’t have them ;). They have a following.

3. Donn Chambers Jun 7, 2019

Am I the only one who read the title and thought this was going to be about 3 people trying to own a single watch? :)

flw and Yak1 like this.
  4. sierra11b Jun 7, 2019

Sorry for the thread title confusion. I can certainly see that now that you mentioned...

Long time lurker here who enjoys the forum, but I go by the same handle in multiple watch forums.

So what’s the protocol for the initial battery swap? Just pay the going rate for the swap and pressure check the first go around?

This brings up another question... if I go into an OB assuming it’s just a battery swap/pressure check out of pocket, what if they think an entire service is in order, for whatever reason they might conjure, would that portion be covered under the 5yr warranty?

Sorry, but I just want to be certain this go around. I’ve been in this game for awhile, like most here, and spent a mini fortune in the first decade of flipping, which I’ve overcome in this decade, and want to make sure this watch is right. I’m sure you can understand.

STANDY likes this.
  5. drhex Jun 9, 2019

You can change the battery yourself. It isn’t difficult if you have the right screwdriver. Omega generally changes crown, pushers and the movement apparently at a big service which I think unnecessary. I own an X33 Gen 2 and a Skywalker, they’ll only see Omega once something fails properly.

6. JohnnyRocket Jun 9, 2019

I’ve had My SkyWalker for a couple of months now.
    I have to say the it is probably my favourite watch in terms of ease of wear. It’s
    Light not burden on the wrist in any way. Easy to read, the alarm function awakes me easily daily at 03:00 hrs. Yes it can wake the dead.
    I think that it will be easy to have serviced in the coming years as is born out by how many X-33 Gen 1&2 are still about. My Gen 2 was recently fully serviced
    Early this year. New movement installed, and a few other tweaks that you would expect on a 2001 model.
    I really think the Skywalker will be around enough in the future to guarantee servicing. After all, looks like the ESA is committed to it for awhile.

7. sierra11b Jun 9, 2019

That’s my general philosophy on a lot of watches. This has the 5yr warranty so I’ll likely pay for the swap and if they want more done then perhaps it’ll be covered.

I’m going to procure the proper tools for DIY soon. Thanks for the response

8. stockae92 Jun 10, 2019

Omega Service Center "suggested" that I should replace the movement in my Gen 2 when I sent it in not too long ago. I would say the movement is still readily available.

Gen 3 (Skywalker) is a great watch and the quality of the watch is noticeably better (to me).

If you value long term ownership and serviceability, you can't go wrong with SBGN003. Just the movement along is service-free for 50 years, even though the battery life is rated at 3 yr. And GS is a much more refined watch, in terms of fit, finish, detail, etc. If you don't need the multi-function of Skywalker, I say go with GS.

9. drhex Jun 12, 2019

@stockae92 Yes, Skywalker is the more rounded watch, easier to read and operate and enhanced functionality. X33 is more funky though.