Forums Latest Members

X-33 Solar Impulse caseback question

1. Threemann Sep 18, 2017

I have a X-33 SI the I bought at a OB a little over 2 years ago. I really like this watch but one thing seemed a bit off about it the entire time I have owned it. I think part of the caseback engraving is upside down. I own other Omega watches and the engraving are all in the same direction. I did a search for this particular watch and found 2 examples where the writing is all in the same direction. Is the watch off or is it me? Thanks.

20170918_121654.jpg
    etamov likes this.
  2. w.finkenstaedt Sep 18, 2017

Seems like the engraving is flipped; I'd bring it back to your OB and get it fixed. I'm guessing that it was just oriented 180° opposite when it went to the engraving stage of production.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. drhex Sep 18, 2017

This will be a very rare and valuable caseback at some point similar to the Speedy 220 bezel. Keep it ;-)....

4. No.15 Sep 18, 2017

Like the inverted Jenny stamp, worth close to a million USD :D

5. etamov Sep 20, 2017

I would keep it that way for its novelty unless there are way more examples like this.

6. stockae92 Sep 20, 2017

Is there other X33 Skywalker SI caseback photo showing the same (or different) orientation??

7. Threemann Sep 20, 2017

There are other photos on the internet but they have the serials exposed so I don't feel comfortable posting those pictures. The other 2 are all aligned.

8. panaitchrono Sep 21, 2017

Maybe this is a stupid thing which I'll say...but your are sure 100% of authenticity? You have all the cards and open the watch?
    Regarding posting the picture with the serial numbers..you can blur some digits..

9. Threemann Sep 24, 2017

I went to the omega boutique (I purchased the watch there) this weekend and explained my thoughts on the it. After a handful of "this is interesting" statements, the team there took pictures of my watch and another one they had on hand. The center engraving on mine is definitely upside down. They also think the proportions of the borders differ slightly. I'm starting to think the first case back made for this watch was messed up in production and some spare was picked up. I know there is high quality control standards but, things happen when people are involved. The pictures are being sent up the omega chain and they will get back to me. My experience with the boutique has been great over the years so I am curious to hear what they have to say. I'll post what they say when they get back to me.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 24, 2017

It would be an insane trick to counterfeit that movement.

No one questions the 5 or so watches with it.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  11. shutterlife Sep 24, 2017

Keep the watch as it is. Don't switch it out. This makes the watch more unique.

12. stockae92 Sep 25, 2017

Yeah, I would do that too. It becomes "your" collector piece. Its not like its going to worth thousands more later on, but its something interesting about the watch. But it would be a talking point to another watch enthusiast only.

(if I tell this story to my wife, her response would be ... Have you taken the trash out yet?" haha)

13. Threemann Sep 26, 2017

I have no delusions here. This is just something that makes it stand out to me. I have no intentions on selling it or having the caseback fixed. I get to tell my wife I may have a 1 of 1 watch. She still hates it.