Forums Latest Members
  1. detroitMD Feb 8, 2015

Box:
    If you’re used to seeing a nice red box, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. The X-33 comes packaged with a well made presentation box that contains a hidden spring loaded drawer specifically designed to hold the manual and cards.

Presentation: See pics.

The Dial:
    Keeping the heritage of the Speedmaster line, it’s easy to see the pedigree when glancing into the dial. One very nice compliment to the watch is the digital display, which unlike most analog/digital dials, does not intrude or impede the quick reference capability provided by the analog hands. I was a bit concerned when I ordered this watch without seeing it on-site because I’m not a fan of the rectangular boxes reserved for the digital display which is common on other watches. The concern here was the carved out circle with notches, (some here referred to as a “hello kitty” outline) taking over the dial and creating a gaudy mess of it. Thankfully, this isn’t the case. In most instances, the outline is unnoticeable because you’re focus is on the analog display. Even when using the digital outlay, I found an appreciation of the outline and how it compliment’s the utility of the digital display. Beyond this, the ability to sync the hands and second marker, ensures that everything lines up properly and on mark.

Bezel:

Pure joy…..Not shiny, not obtrusive and very pleasant to turn in BOTH directions. More can be read up on Omega’s website as to the material behind this masterpiece. I only wish we could see more of this on serious tool watches.

The lume:
    Enduring. Nothing else lacking needed here. A nice touch was added to the bezel at the 12 o'clock position as well. The digital display also possesses an independent ability to glow at the push of the button.

Case:
    I can’t speak for Omega choosing to go with a larger case, but what I can say is that they didn’t waste a single component in the design. It’s comfortable to wear and slides easily under the cuff when not used. The case blends nicely into the bracelet, which further tapers around the wrist. The pushers blend nicely into the case as well, giving it a very serious “no distractions” look. The choice to use grade 2 Titanium over the typical grade 5 used in most high-end jewelry was justified by the overall presence that the X-33 delivers. It’s a purpose driven tool that isn’t meant to shine or call attention to itself. The essence behind it is mission oriented and that means being able to integrate within various environments where “what are you wearing” is irrelevant.

Crystal:
    Sapphire layered with anti-reflective coatings on the top and bottom. Result? Invisible most of the time.

Bracelet:
    Lacking nothing and very comfortable. Size it once and forget about it. The balance of the Case and curved lugs allow the X-33 to sit perfectly on the wrist without riding up or down. The tapered bracelet lends itself to this by offering slight “play” upon the lateral axis, in other words; it isn’t rigid like most modern solid bracelets. Instead, the play allows the bracelet to adapt to the rigorous motion of the wearer without flopping around like a politician during an election campaign.

Clasp:
    Not much to be said here. I found it to be very sturdy, and appreciate the push button design seen on most Omega’s these days.

Functions:
    Behind the most basic function of this piece, you have a well equipped pilots watch. An interactive manual can be downloaded on the iTunes App Store, which guides the user through the array of settings and uses for each function. I wont elaborate too much on this subject, but what I can say from years past as a professional pilot; this was a movement designed within the capability offered in a multifunction quartz to compliment itself by performing within a set schedule. In essence, it behaves as a task master and doesn’t try to be something it’s not (Breitling, I’m looking at you!)

And at last, The Alarm:
    The amplified alarm exceeds the 80dB required by the ESA and is more than enough for anyone looking for a proper do-it-all alarm to get out of bed and stay on task.

Overall Impression:
    Like the previous generation X-33’s, this one will soon be hard to acquire used, as I suspect most owners will find it irreplaceable. For those bound on terrestrial quests, there’s nothing that comes close to matching up aesthetics and function all in one package as there always seems to be a trade-off between the two, but this is my personal opinion having thoroughly considered Breitling and others. IMG_1380-1.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-6.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg x33.jpg FullSizeRender-8.jpg

2. alam Feb 8, 2015

:thumbsup: cool looking watch! got to download the iPad App to play… here's another super cool picture of your watch that I borrowed from Omega..

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 10.36.56 PM.png
    Longbow, T-Steve, RobertOne and 7 others like this.
  3. legends71 Feb 9, 2015

Indeed a great watch.
    Long time ago I worked for the ESA so this watch is a must have for me. :)

4. ketiljo Feb 9, 2015

Congratulations, it's a great watch. I have the former version of the X33, 2nd gen. Can't beat the "Flight qualified by NASA for space missions" on the back. I like the new dark dial a bit more I think.

5. RCAFBuster Feb 9, 2015

Very tempted other than I have a Breitling Aerospace at the moment.

6. detroitMD Feb 10, 2015

I can understand why you would need one. I used to fly professionally and would have loved to have been able to afford this back then. If you have some pics from you're time at the ESA, feel free to post them!! It's an open forum after all :)

7. detroitMD Feb 10, 2015

The 2nd gen is a beauty as well, if they didn't come out with this version, I probably would have found a way to acquire the former. Seems all the 1st and 2nd gen are hard to find on the used market. Must be a good sign!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. detroitMD Feb 10, 2015

The Aerospace Evo is a nice piece and was a strong contender there for a while.

9. billyblue Feb 11, 2015

Isn't the new X-33 also being tested by NASA? I can see a new version coming which is qualified by NASA in the near future. Could go both ways: Two version will exist with the buyer being able to choose from

or

what would be not so good: NASA version replaces ESA version and will be more desireable in the long run...

10. puddlep1rate Feb 15, 2015

This watch is much more appealing than what I had originally pictured in my head. Thanks for sharing!

11. detroitMD Feb 15, 2015

From my understanding, the ESA has reciprocity at NASA with regards to equipment in service to include items issued by either agency. The movement is also under a Patent license from the ESA, so I highly doubt Omega would jeopardize that investment to make a NASA version.

Besides, NASA already has their own version... It's called the Speedmaster Professional ;)

12. billyblue Feb 17, 2015

Written on aBlogtoWatch:
    "Omega claims that the watch will be certified by NASA to be used in their space missions in the near future, and that the Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 has already been approved by the ESA (European Space Agency) for use in space and on the ISS."

13. detroitMD Feb 17, 2015

This reminds me of the patient who argues that he has medical condition because he read it on a Blog, so it must be true.

The comment on aBlogtoWatch is conflicting in nature to begin with. But since it's on the internet, it must be true, right?

Please read the first two words.... "Omega Claims".....The author didn't make a statement such as "Omega's Regional Marketing VP John Smith said in an interview that NASA will certify the new X-33 for all space missions in the future." Nope, the author doesn't mention any names to the claim and offers no basis for a truthful statement. He merely suggests that while speaking to someone who represents Omega, a salesman, boutique manager, regional rep, you get the idea; that they claim that Nasa will certify the X-33 too.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there won't be a NASA version anytime soon.

Here's some foundation into the basic charter and agreements, I'm sure you can deduce your own opinion from here:
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/nasa_esa.html

Enjoy!

14. billyblue Feb 18, 2015

Hey, take it easy, only wanted to mention it [emoji6]

15. detroitMD Feb 18, 2015

You're right brother, my apologies for being short. Good call :)

mistexbs likes this.
  16. friendharry Apr 28, 2015

Great review. I have a X33 and can confirm it's a stunning watche. To the point that I'm wondering whether I should buy the Solar Impulse which is gorgeous but lacks the titanium bracelet.

17. gee_cee Apr 29, 2015

"The hands can be disengaged to allow clear reading of the digital display." Presumably that means they move out of the way at the push of a button..?

tikkathree likes this.
  18. PatrickJ Apr 29, 2015

Like the X 33 but prefer speedy

19. friendharry Apr 29, 2015

the hands move to clear the digital display, depending on the information displayed on the screen. they can move at 9.15, 1:05 etc ...

JohnnyRocket, mistexbs and tikkathree like this.
  20. Combatinc Aug 1, 2015

I purchased one of the LE X-33 Editions with the NATO strap. Currently awaiting a Grade 2 Titanium Band from Switzerland-6 week wait at a cost of $2300.00. I'm no pilot; however I am in the military and wanted a functional Omega that could match it with my Casio Frogman. Functional meaning: a night light for operating in the dark, stopwatch for fire drills and emergency assessments, timers and count downs for my gymnasium training programs. The watch is very capable as a military watch; however the pusher located at the '3' would reset to the alarm screen, the MES or Time 2 screen etc every time I would do bench press, push ups or any other flexion of the wrist under load. Apart from that and it's limited water resistance...it's a keeper.