Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2016

I changed the battery recently (about two months ago) and it was working fine, I put it away and wore other watches.

I went to wear it for an upcoming trip and noticed the second hand had stopped.
    The battery I'd used was an unpackaged Renata, so thinking it could have been a dud I got a new packaged Varta and installed that. The same problem though.

All digital functions work properly, and when in hand setting mode the hands all rotate correctly, however when I go back to normal time mode the second hand will stop after 5 to 10 seconds and just seems to stutter in one place at about 1 second intervals.

I've removed the battery and will be putting it in to Omega for a service when I get home, in the meantime I have to use my Citizen Airwave, which does a decent job as a travel watch, but has no lume, alarm or dial light.

Any ideas or experience with this issue?

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 27, 2016

Might be a bad set of batteries if sitting around a while. Try a new one from the store? Or test the batteries with a charge kit

3. akshayluc420 Nov 27, 2016

Hi Jim, when in hand setting mode, did you check the movement of each of the hands across the entire dial i.e. a 360 Degree sweep? Does it stutter in one specific point, or just after 5-10 seconds of ticking away?

Just a guess, if it is stuttering in one specific point, perhaps one of the teeth in the seconds gear could be damaged, or could be obstructed; the 360 degree sweep might confirm it. I don't own the X-33, so this is a bit of an experiment rather than an educated guess.

4. tyrantlizardrex Nov 27, 2016

Hey Jim,

I had the same issue with my Gen 1 - wore it for a month with the digital only, then sent off to Omega.

They switch out the whole movement as part of the service, so I didn't get a diagnosis as to the cause of the fault.

5. TheBucketOfTruth Nov 27, 2016

Was going to try a change on the battery on mine but does anyone know where to buy Renata batteries in person? I was going to have the Omega Boutique do it when I try on a new strap, but it's taking forever to come in.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 27, 2016

Thanks folks. The watch is 2,500 kilometres away so I can't diagnose, but it looks like it's time for a service so I'll give it to Omega when I get home.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. Tubber Nov 27, 2016

Is the standard Omega reply to get it serviced. At which point they change the movement?

8. tyrantlizardrex Nov 27, 2016

With the X-33, there are two courses of action really:

1 - new battery.

2 - service (includes: new movement, new hands, new pushers, new crown, full set of seals, deep clean of case and bracelet).

As I understand it, the movement swap is more cost effective (and probably easier to warranty for two years), than fault finding and fixing.

blubarb likes this.
  9. Tubber Nov 27, 2016

Will Omega just do a battery change or insist on a movement change? I have a Gen 2 probably needs a new battery soon.

10. tyrantlizardrex Nov 27, 2016

Yes. They'll do this in store if there's a watchmaker on site. :)

11. Tubber Nov 27, 2016

Champion, TY Cookie Lizard:thumbsup:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.